LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    Lol! I didn't even see this before!
    I love looking at coils, but I don't own one & have never ridden one, so I don't really know much about them beyond what I've read on the interwebs. They seem pretty legit, though...my main hesitation in ordering one is that I'm no fan of epoxy construction, so it's hard for me to shell out that kind of cash for something I might end up hating.
    I had never ridden an epoxy board before I got my qualifier; only polies and I bought it without ever having demo'd it or any other Coil. I wanted something that could stand up to air travel and wouldn't leave me boardless when I got where-ever. I bought mine used off Craigs, so the dims aren't even totally ideal for me like a custom would be. I wish it was just a little thicker, like 2 5/8" instead of 2 1/2" (6'8" by 19 1/4") and the rails weren't quite as round, just a little boxier along the bottom edges, would be better suited for local waves. Even so, it is the fastest board I've ever owned and absolutely kills it in anything OH+. I never went in for epxoy because of the lack of flex. If anything this thing is so thin, it has too much flex, so that if the wave isn't powerful, it's really easy to lose energy and then momentum coming out of a sharp turn if you don't snap it back down the line. It took some getting used to at first. I don't know why, but it's a magic board. I can't wait to get a custom. 6-10' feet, it's the board I ride these days.

Dims for the Flashback Fish will be 6'4"x21.5"x2 3/4", going with the 5 box convertible w/FCS Fusions most likely

A buddy of mine just got a new one delivered. Apparently Mike asked him if he wanted the "New Technology" with it. He said "sure."

It's definitely sick and I can't wait to ride it at some point--it's dimpled. I will report back as soon as I have ridden it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    A buddy of mine just got a new one delivered. Apparently Mike asked him if he wanted the "New Technology" with it. He said "sure."

It's definitely sick and I can't wait to ride it at some point--it's dimpled. I will report back as soon as I have ridden it.
    Dimples? WHA?! On the deck or the bottom? I’m guessing on the bottom, to create turbulence and mess up the laminar so that you go faster? I wish they would keep their site up to date a little more; but I know they’re too busy making boards. I want to see a Coil with dimples! Prolly looks almost as good as Alana Blanchard’s!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Dims for the Flashback Fish will be 6'4"x21.5"x2 3/4", going with the 5 box convertible w/FCS Fusions most likely
    If this ever gets too big for you and you want to trade it in for a smaller model, let me know. I imagine it will be awhile; like a long while, but you never know after a couple of years you could want a shorter one. Those are my favorite fish dims. Still want to get a megamind. Have to see what shakes out this year. I bet you're gonna love that board man. : )
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    If this ever gets too big for you and you want to trade it in for a smaller model, let me know. I imagine it will be awhile; like a long while, but you never know after a couple of years you could want a shorter one. Those are my favorite fish dims. Still want to get a megamind. Have to see what shakes out this year. I bet you're gonna love that board man. : )
    I'll keep that mind dude, probably will be a while like you said but who knows in a few years. I'm so stoked on this board, can't wait to get it wet for the 1st time

Tell you what, i'll let you take mine for a spin if you are ever in Florida so you can find out for yourself HAHA, but going to have to wait till around March / April, it's a 12 week wait right now.
    thanks! i appreciate the offer! if i'm ever in your neighborhood, i'll let you know!

What Volume?

Mine is 6'5" x 21 x 2 5/8. Vol 1.3 cu ft....If I went with a swallow tail instead of round, the same board would have been 6'4" according to Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
    What Volume?

Mine is 6'5" x 21 x 2 5/8. Vol 1.3 cu ft....If I went with a swallow tail instead of round, the same board would have been 6'4" according to Mike.
    Haven't gotten to the volume yet, waiting to hear back from Mike so we can dig into some more details. They are backed up right now to 12 weeks so it's probably not on his high list of priorities just yet. I'm going back and forth on what I want to do with the color under the grid. Was thinking black or red, maybe go with the black w/red FCS Fusions, and a black & red tracktion pad. Probably keep the full panel white, but who knows, i'm still looking at different options.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post

So I see your buddies board on swaylock's, has he let u take it out for a spin yet? Trying to decide if I want the new tech or stick with the grid. Looks bad ass either way I'm sure

Not yet. Unfortunately it was a new board, thus there haven't been any waves. I may get a couple cracks on it tomorrow if the forecast holds, we'll see...

One thing to keep in mind, the new tech is something like 20% lighter than the Grid and as or more durable!