Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    So is the new tech the same price as the grid or is there an upcharge?
    Here's what Mike said a couple days ago on Sways:

It is called Kick.

Any board in process that hasn't already been bagged can be switched over at no cost. Color options deleted.

It's a significant leap in fiber-to-resin ratio, so Kick is both lighter and stronger.

Dude, there's a huge difference between my back yard boards and guys who do it everyday. Shaping boards is fun, you're right, some of them ride great and the soul is where it's at. But, you get what you pay for and Coil is the best out there right now. Don't believe me, get one.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. Although i've never shaped a board personally, i'd sure love to one day when i have the space at home and the time to dedicate. But if I want the best board possible, I won't be building it myself. Mike Daniel's is the man, and nobody is doing what Coil is doing with their tech, so I'm willing to pay double what it cost to make my own. Good suggestion though Cepriano, something I definitely plan to do a bit down the road, probably after I buy a house in the next year or so.

I have owned Firewire boards for years and I don't really like parabolic stringers anymore, since the boards are prone to breaking easily. Yes, parabolic stringers give the boards more flexibility and board feel is really good, but you sacrifice durability of the board for this. Over time, the boards become "weaker" in the middle due to constant flex, and eventually "snap" in half. Only traditionally stringered boards for me from now on....

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    I have owned Firewire boards for years and I don't really like parabolic stringers anymore, since the boards are prone to breaking easily. Yes, parabolic stringers give the boards more flexibility and board feel is really good, but you sacrifice durability of the board for this. Over time, the boards become "weaker" in the middle due to constant flex, and eventually "snap" in half. Only traditionally stringered boards for me from now on....
    Coil's don't have a stringer, doesn't need one.

Coil's don't have a stringer, they have two. They are parabolic stringers of interwoven carbon mesh (the Grid). They are needed. The unique design of the parabolic stringers is what makes them special.
    You know what I meant HAHA, it's not a traditional "stringer" like all other boards on the market. Apples and Oranges for sure.

Edit: To be fair, there are more than a few posts by Mike himself stating NO STRINGER on the Swaylock's thread. Here is one of them. Not trying to split hairs here, just sayin...

While I've been offline (shaping), these last few posts have been a great illustration of how volume numbers work for tuning. As I've said on other threads, I couldn't imagine going back to just guessing at volume. There's a lot of other things I couldn't imagine going back to; stringers, PU foam, hand-lam, ''normal'' foils, old fibers, etc. (There's nothing wrong with using any of that stuff, but is is getting a little old).
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:57 PM.

should i take my coil to the maldives this summer (5'11, 3/16, swallow tail, i think it is the widerboard)?

Does anyone have any experience with a Lost epoxy? May have found a good deal on a new one, but never surfed an epoxy, strictly PU until now, but may have to take a swing at this one.

Never ridden a ...Lost, but try it out Unk, u might like it. What’s the worst that happens, you hate it and have to sell it? Up until last year, I’d never ridden anything but poly. Got my first epoxy based purely on reviews here and on Sway’s without ever trying one and have really enjoyed riding them and their durability. One thing that has really surprised me is how much lighter epoxy boards are. Once there’s some texture on the wave I find myself needing to put more weight forward than I need to on the same sized poly. The epoxies I’ve bought are so much lighter than my old PU boards, they want to bounce off instead of just charge through. No big deal, just a slight change to my riding style. I get bored easy, so I surf lots of different boards and shapes and try not to get hung up on any one board or style of surfing. That might have helped.
    Thanks zaGaffer, I think I will. Gonna check it out next Monday if it is still around. I did hear that chop can present a challenge, but I ride with a heavy front foot anyway.

One of my buddies got a Sub-Scorcher with the hydroflex or whatever they call the tech that you can blow up with a bike pump.

Seemed to be more of a gimmick that truly functional. He got rid of the board after a couple months because it was kind of redundant in his quiver. One of the lightest boards I have ever held, though.

Another buddy swears by FCD boards. I like riding his CJ Fishy on occasion.

Just got the call, mine will be ready for pickup in 2-3 days