LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Coil Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Coil's don't have a stringer, doesn't need one.
    Coil's don't have a stringer, they have two. They are parabolic stringers of interwoven carbon mesh (the Grid). They are needed. The unique design of the parabolic stringers is what makes them special.

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    I have owned Firewire boards for years and I don't really like parabolic stringers anymore, since the boards are prone to breaking easily. Yes, parabolic stringers give the boards more flexibility and board feel is really good, but you sacrifice durability of the board for this. Over time, the boards become "weaker" in the middle due to constant flex, and eventually "snap" in half. Only traditionally stringered boards for me from now on....
    FireWires are mass produced, Chinese boards. They do not use the same construction techniques, nor materials as Coils. Comparing them to each other because they share one design feature in common is fine, but besides that one design feature, the comparison ends. Apples and oranges, night and day. They’re both surfboards, but one is a custom board made for Pipeline and Big Black’s and the other isn’t.

Speaking of which, I have got to get mine patched before Sunday.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Coil's don't have a stringer, they have two. They are parabolic stringers of interwoven carbon mesh (the Grid). They are needed. The unique design of the parabolic stringers is what makes them special.
    You know what I meant HAHA, it's not a traditional "stringer" like all other boards on the market. Apples and Oranges for sure.

Edit: To be fair, there are more than a few posts by Mike himself stating NO STRINGER on the Swaylock's thread. Here is one of them. Not trying to split hairs here, just sayin...

While I've been offline (shaping), these last few posts have been a great illustration of how volume numbers work for tuning. As I've said on other threads, I couldn't imagine going back to just guessing at volume. There's a lot of other things I couldn't imagine going back to; stringers, PU foam, hand-lam, ''normal'' foils, old fibers, etc. (There's nothing wrong with using any of that stuff, but is is getting a little old).
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Why is that whenever I'm supposed to be good, temptation rears its head?
    These are perfect dims for a new summer board for me. The price is right too:

Coil surfboard flashback fish roundtail 6'x21"x2.625" - $425 (Carlsbad)

Anybody actually ridden one of these?
    Never mind, had to read the whole thread again. Pkovo nice review, can't wait to try mine out tomorrow.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 21, 2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Derp

should i take my coil to the maldives this summer (5'11, 3/16, swallow tail, i think it is the widerboard)?

Does anyone have any experience with a Lost epoxy? May have found a good deal on a new one, but never surfed an epoxy, strictly PU until now, but may have to take a swing at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Irish View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a Lost epoxy? May have found a good deal on a new one, but never surfed an epoxy, strictly PU until now, but may have to take a swing at this one.
    Never ridden a ...Lost, but try it out Unk, u might like it. What’s the worst that happens, you hate it and have to sell it? Up until last year, I’d never ridden anything but poly. Got my first epoxy based purely on reviews here and on Sway’s without ever trying one and have really enjoyed riding them and their durability. One thing that has really surprised me is how much lighter epoxy boards are. Once there’s some texture on the wave I find myself needing to put more weight forward than I need to on the same sized poly. The epoxies I’ve bought are so much lighter than my old PU boards, they want to bounce off instead of just charge through. No big deal, just a slight change to my riding style. I get bored easy, so I surf lots of different boards and shapes and try not to get hung up on any one board or style of surfing. That might have helped.

I got a chance to try out the Flashback (I refuse to call it a Fish, since it has a round tail) I picked up. We had a fun little swell over the weekend. Nothing major, but some decent little waves in the 3-5’ range. Here’s a pic i ganked from the erBb of a well known spot in my (soon to be ex) neighborhood.

Got out twice on Sat and once yesterday. Stuck a set of thruster k-grip carbons on it and paddled out. The board’s super fast and handles great once you catch the wave, super stable, turns on a dime and really launches; but I thought it paddled like a dog. Lots of initial inertia to overcome, but it loves the no paddle/short paddle take off. I’m wondering if it wasn’t the drag created by the center fin, maybe it’ll paddle better on quads? Definitely catches steep, dumpy waves great, so I imagine that’s the Florida windswell creeping into the design. Duckdives great, slips right under even at 36 liters which I also attribute to it being a Florida board. For mush, I’m gonna pass on this one and stick with my dumpster diver, but for anything over 2-3’; this is a great board. I think it’ll be great at my new spot, which is beach breaks and structures.

That’s just my initial two cents, it’ll take me another 2 weeks or so to get it dialed in and really get to know her.

*I should say that I bought it to fill the gap in between the DD (Clone) and my Qualifier, which it does perfectly. Not a groveler, not a step-up; but a good board for a little bit of juice. I have a 6'4" and a 6'6" that were doing the job; but they're old-school 90's designs. Too long by modern short board standards.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: *

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Never ridden a ...Lost, but try it out Unk, u might like it. What’s the worst that happens, you hate it and have to sell it? Up until last year, I’d never ridden anything but poly. Got my first epoxy based purely on reviews here and on Sway’s without ever trying one and have really enjoyed riding them and their durability. One thing that has really surprised me is how much lighter epoxy boards are. Once there’s some texture on the wave I find myself needing to put more weight forward than I need to on the same sized poly. The epoxies I’ve bought are so much lighter than my old PU boards, they want to bounce off instead of just charge through. No big deal, just a slight change to my riding style. I get bored easy, so I surf lots of different boards and shapes and try not to get hung up on any one board or style of surfing. That might have helped.
    Thanks zaGaffer, I think I will. Gonna check it out next Monday if it is still around. I did hear that chop can present a challenge, but I ride with a heavy front foot anyway.

One of my buddies got a Sub-Scorcher with the hydroflex or whatever they call the tech that you can blow up with a bike pump.

Seemed to be more of a gimmick that truly functional. He got rid of the board after a couple months because it was kind of redundant in his quiver. One of the lightest boards I have ever held, though.

Another buddy swears by FCD boards. I like riding his CJ Fishy on occasion.

Just got the call, mine will be ready for pickup in 2-3 days