LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

West Coast Surf Spots

I know this is a broad range of surf spots but I am taking a trip to California around Christmas week. I'll be driving up the coast starting from L.A. and ending in San Fransisco around New Years. This is my first time going north of Malibu so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for surf spots in a couple of different areas: Santa Barbara County, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Fransisco. I'm looking for fun spots that are not too heavy or sketchy or out of my league. I've been researching and looking for the best places to paddle out but its hard to tell just off the internet. First-hand experience is always better so any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot!

West Coast Surf Spots

don't know if it will help, but try posting on the west coast forum

Quote Originally Posted by DJFresh View Post
    don't know if it will help, but try posting on the west coast forum
    Yea I was thinking about that, but I figured if I did post it there, most surfers wouldn't want to reveal their spots. Also, I don't think there are as many users (on swellinfo.com) from the west coast as the number of users from the east coast so I figured it would be better to hear from a wide range of surfers- most of whom have traveled quite a bit.

Images

Your best bet. . .

. . .would be planning to stay as close to Trestles for as long as possible. Always a quality wave, even when crowded. Oh yeah, be sure to avoid Huntington Beach, unless you like the scene. Santa Cruz has a couple of good spots, but it's a long drive from So. Cal.

If you're into sight seeing, definitely do the Big Sur road- at least once in your lifetime. Mavs can be a bit heavy, not to mention cold. San Francisco, is, well, San Francisco. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there, unless you really like street people.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    . . .would be planning to stay as close to Trestles for as long as possible. Always a quality wave, even when crowded. Oh yeah, be sure to avoid Huntington Beach, unless you like the scene. Santa Cruz has a couple of good spots, but it's a long drive from So. Cal.

If you're into sight seeing, definitely do the Big Sur road- at least once in your lifetime. Mavs can be a bit heavy, not to mention cold. San Francisco, is, well, San Francisco. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there, unless you really like street people.
    I won't be traveling further south than El Porto and will only be in Socal Briefly. I will be mostly in Central and Northern. Yea Mavs is definitely too heavy. Ill be driving up the coast for the time span of a week (give or take a couple of days) so I will be stopping along the way to go surfing while sight seeing and playing tourist. Im just looking for a couple of spots between SB and SF that would be fun, but not overload like Mavs or Steamer Lane. I don't want to go to spots that are too crowded or too empty because I don't want to be alone if something were to happen. (not to mention sharks)

Fort Point at the Presidio is a fun left point.

Steamer Lane is the classic Santa Cruz break (actually 3 different breaks if I'm not mistaken). Check out youtube for some clips. Very nice.

Definitely Steamers! When you go there let them know you are from the Eastside.

west coast surf

I actually travel to Cali quite often albeit Southern Cal, just got back from Diego last night in fact....last year I traveled from LA to Santa Cruz so you'll have to do your research from Santa Cruz to San Fran...but I would recommend hitting County Line just north of Malibu, that was a fun little break with some rocks just off the 101 across from Neptune's Restaurant. North of there you'll be in Oxnard where you can surf Silver Strand which is a fun peaky beach break (yea it can be pretty local there so be polite and don't snake anyone there). As you travel farther North into Ventura you will have to hit C street, it's a right point break that needs a decent swell to work but the wave goes on and on, this is cobblestone/rock bottom. From there I went north on the 101 and stopped in Santa Barbara (Carpenteria) and surfed Rincon...you definitely need to surf here, probably one of the best points in Cali (there are other breaks too, just do some searching, I only hit Rincon). From Santa Barbara, I ended up stopping at Pismo Pier which is just a beach break, nothing great but it does barrel on a decent swell here. Farther north up the 101 in San Luis Obispo just south of Paso Robles there is a consistent break that is very picturesque called Morro Bay. It's about 15-20 minutes west of the 101 down a windy beautiful road lined with avocado trees and farms. At the end of the road is a power plant which is basically where you'll park on the North side of a huge rock in the bay. From there i traveled to Santa Cruz which is the craziest windy road I've ever been on, be careful people drive crazy on this road...but definitely hit Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz which has 3 distinctive peaks, just watch how people get in and out before paddling out. Some other good breaks are South of Steamer in Pleasure Point like spots such as "the hook" (41st street?) and other spots between. It can be pretty local there so be smart. Anyways hope this helps man, enjoy your trip.

Images

Thumbs up

I'm from Cali....I could go on all day about spots.....just check out wannasurf.com....you will find a lot of breaks on there....not all of them......but a good amount.

~lates