LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538

    computer problems

    guys i need your help my computer basically blew up and it was the hard drive. so my dad got a new hard drive and we put it in last night and it gets to the sign on screen and them basically goes blank we got all the windows crap downloaded but it just wont work. i keep on telling him he has to take out the old hard drive the one that blew up and he wont listen can some of you guys tell me if im telling my dad the truth or what. but if your wondering how im typing this is cause im using my dads work laptop. but the strange thing is hes fixed all the other computers my family has ownedbut it jsut seems like this one is really blown up.

    please help a bro out thanks.
    Last edited by wbsurfer; Nov 1, 2008 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    If it is a hard drive issue, replace the corrupted hard drive with the new hard drive. Re-install windows and all your other software.

    If it is just a windows or software issue, then format the old hard drive and re-install everything.

    With windows, its not a bad practice to re-format every once in a while anyway, as you tend to get spyware, and other kinds of crap installed on your computer that slows things down.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    yeah we have the whole new hard drive in and we got windows media player xp and all the other windows crap on the new hard drive but after that the hard drive wont go to the sign on screen whitch is strange but hopefully my dad is gonna figure it out. the only thing that sucks is i have like $1000 worth of music on the blown up drive luckily we backed it up but when it blew i bought more music while looking at the surf cams so i basically lost like $20 worth of music. But my dad is gonna get our bestfriend who works at international paper on there computer system to come to our house and try to fix it. i just want it to be fixed asap cause my dads boss is getting kind of mad for us using it when its only trully for his office.

  4. #4
    did you remove the old harddrive or just piggyback the new on off it?

    what did the computer do when it "blew up"? are you positive it was the harddrive that needed to be replaced?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by donson View Post
    did you remove the old harddrive or just piggyback the new on off it?

    what did the computer do when it "blew up"? are you positive it was the harddrive that needed to be replaced?
    na he didnt remove the old harddrive hes trying to recover the old stuff of it. but should he take it out. and yes im positive its the hardrive. and finally it just shutdown and when i tried to start it back up it went to a black screen witha countdown timer from 30 seconds and froze so we jsut shut it off and got a harddrive from my dads bussiness computer dept. and that worked so we bought a new harddrive for it.

  6. #6
    you might have to set your new harddrive to "primary" and th eold one to "slave" theres a jumper setting on the hardrive, kind of like a little black plug covering some pins sticking out. it should tell you which set of pins to move it to.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    22
    Images
    22
    I would remove the old hard drive, load the OS and all the other software including virus and malware scanner one the new hard drive. Get the machine running and then add the old hard drive back in as the "slave" on the cd rom cable. It will make the transfer faster (if you can receover anything). Also, if your still having issues getting the new hard drive to boot, you most likley have jumper issues as noted in a post above. THe jumper setting are usually listed on the outside of the hard drive itself.

    good luck

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    yeah we have the whole new hard drive in and we got windows media player xp and all the other windows crap on the new hard drive but after that the hard drive wont go to the sign on screen whitch is strange but hopefully my dad is gonna figure it out. the only thing that sucks is i have like $1000 worth of music on the blown up drive luckily we backed it up but when it blew i bought more music while looking at the surf cams so i basically lost like $20 worth of music. But my dad is gonna get our bestfriend who works at international paper on there computer system to come to our house and try to fix it. i just want it to be fixed asap cause my dads boss is getting kind of mad for us using it when its only trully for his office.
    You think you are losing music!!!! I just had the worst day in PC history last week. My domain server controller failed rendering 500GB of music inaccessible and to add insult to injury, my WD Mybook 1 TB died. It had near 700GB of music and about 200GB of HD boogie footage. WB replaced the 1TB drive but no way for me to get what I lost off it. Unreal that I lost both my main and backup source in the same day, same hours even!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    You think you are losing music!!!! I just had the worst day in PC history last week. My domain server controller failed rendering 500GB of music inaccessible and to add insult to injury, my WD Mybook 1 TB died. It had near 700GB of music and about 200GB of HD boogie footage. WB replaced the 1TB drive but no way for me to get what I lost off it. Unreal that I lost both my main and backup source in the same day, same hours even!
    sux dude... sorry bout it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    "DC suburbs"-allegedly
    Posts
    231

    this stuff blows

    the same stuff happened to me. it kept sayin the hard drive was full, but it was completely empty cuz my dad bought a 500GB hard drive and moved EVERYTHING onto that. then the virus blockers ran out of time and my computer got LOADED up on porn viruses from limewire and my dad got rid of all that sh*t. but it still wouldnt work so he just ended up buying a new PC