LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's up with Long Branch beach

Today I went to Long Branch beach for surfing, and I noticed a pipe already in the ocean at The Pit, Brighton Ave... Then after surfing I went on the road to check Long Branch beaches out, and I saw alotta of pipes lay on the beaches. I wonder what they are for... Im sorry if this news are already posted.
    I would like to know whats up with that since I lived all of my life in Long Branch but right now I am current going to college up state of NY so that's why I haven't heard any news about it.
    Thanks

yea i live in long branch and when i first started surfing there around 5 years ago i thought they were still used but you saw the one by the pit and probably the hotel they were used in the 60's as a run off but they've been closed up for years, in fact sometimes when the tides low peoplel go inside 'em

i think they might be taking them out real soon but i could be wrong.

I remember when The Pit was REALLY The Pit, before the gazillion dollar luxo condos....

Quote Originally Posted by jak assateague View Post
    I remember when The Pit was REALLY The Pit, before the gazillion dollar luxo condos....

Listen to a waterproof mp3 while surfing and you'll forget all about the transgressions of the uncommitted masses.

Nope that pipe their isn't from the 60s. It was just put in yesterday because they're dredging the beaches in the area. Their's been a few bulldozers on the beach too.

6. oh thats great so their screwin up sandbars now?

Images
    There are called outfall pipes....Thats where the water from the street drains, you know the water that goes into the storm drains goes into the ocean....

Images
    Wrong..Storm drains relaese the street water through those outfall lines.....
    I am an engineer, so I know about these things...

Images
    See:
    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3664
    ..for the info discussed last week...

And, eastcoast_sponger, they are trying something new, so hopefully it won't be screwed..
    See:
    http://www.app.com/article/20081007/...810070357/1004

And see:
    http://www.app.com/article/20081118/...5/1282/LOCAL06

Swede2100, good to see you corrected yourself...

Sounds like (from the atricles at least) that the beach replenishment will actually help maintain and enhance the sandbars over the long term - like maybe next year these breaks would be good again. But as far as this winter and spring, the breaks will be f''d up or at the least inconsistent. No surfer likes to see this type of beach work happen, but hopefully the replenishment will help keep these beaches open and if all goes well this could really improve the breaks in this area. It's tough when you're directly impacted by another government experiment.