LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

firewire rapidfire

Has anybody else heard of the new Firewire Bamboo stringer surfboard? it's a lot cheaper than their other boards ($595) does anybody know when we can order them?

Why not get a board made for our waves?

Could you help me with any suggestions then? no joke, i am looking for a new shortboard and would like to hear some advice. Right now I ride a 5'8 al merrick sashimi. It's a good board, so much fun to ride, it is just getting too old, turning yellow, etc. Can anybody help me with a shortboard for New Jersey type waves, basically something that can handle waist high to a few feet overhead, and that is durable and won't turn an ugly yellow color, thanks. I'm 5'7 145 pounds.

find a local shaper and tell him what you want.

Images
    Why not another Al Merrick? The "Flyer" is great in east coast waves. They have many other models that would probably suit you as well. Check out the website. If you order a new board on thier fast track they have been completing them in about a month. You can reorder a replacement later on and get a board almost identical to what you have. I know some guys on here will say use a local shaper, and they can make a good argument for doing so, but its hard to beat the consistancy and quality of the Merricks. They are made in Cali. and not overseas like some boards.

Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    Could you help me with any suggestions then? no joke, i am looking for a new shortboard and would like to hear some advice. Right now I ride a 5'8 al merrick sashimi. It's a good board, so much fun to ride, it is just getting too old, turning yellow, etc. Can anybody help me with a shortboard for New Jersey type waves, basically something that can handle waist high to a few feet overhead, and that is durable and won't turn an ugly yellow color, thanks. I'm 5'7 145 pounds.
    In south jersey I'd check with Brian Wynn.

has anybody ridden one of the Al Merrick Tuflite boards? The consensus is that they suck, but i am hearing from a few people that they are actually good boards.

Images
    The best word to describe the original Tuflite boards is "corky". They are ok in smaller waves, but my experience is that as the wave gets bigger and as you go faster the boards don't feel like they contact the water. In other words, they float to much and are very stiff. I have a Tuflite 2 small wave board which is fun in surf from stomach or chest high and smaller. The Tuflite 2's feel more like a PU board and have similar flex in them, still I would not even think of using it in head high or bigger waves. It is very light and durable; however, it is not my primary small wave board. Bottom line: light weight, durable, price not to bad, but I wouldn't trade it for a good PU board as far as performance is concerned.

Images
    I have a 6' 1" tuflite flyer and I love how responsive it is. the only thing that I dont like is the tuflite is so light offshore wind get under it and it almost acts like a sail. depending on your ability level i would def recommend one. the more I have improved the more i prefer i more solid heavier board. if you are interested in buying mine i may make a deal with you b/c im trying to go more toward a 6' 4"...

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    has anybody ridden one of the Al Merrick Tuflite boards? The consensus is that they suck, but i am hearing from a few people that they are actually good boards.
    i have the al merrick flyer 6'1" tuflite love it and it seems it works good for me in head + surf until it maxes out. but some people say they float to much but i learned on a epoxy so im used to the float on it. they're defiently worth what they cost they dont ding. but you gotta try very hard to break on as i did but didnt mean to break it. but if they do break they can be reapired easily, just depending on where u break it. so defeintly get it.