LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

firewire rapidfire

Has anybody else heard of the new Firewire Bamboo stringer surfboard? it's a lot cheaper than their other boards ($595) does anybody know when we can order them?

Why not get a board made for our waves?

Could you help me with any suggestions then? no joke, i am looking for a new shortboard and would like to hear some advice. Right now I ride a 5'8 al merrick sashimi. It's a good board, so much fun to ride, it is just getting too old, turning yellow, etc. Can anybody help me with a shortboard for New Jersey type waves, basically something that can handle waist high to a few feet overhead, and that is durable and won't turn an ugly yellow color, thanks. I'm 5'7 145 pounds.

find a local shaper and tell him what you want.

Images
    Why not another Al Merrick? The "Flyer" is great in east coast waves. They have many other models that would probably suit you as well. Check out the website. If you order a new board on thier fast track they have been completing them in about a month. You can reorder a replacement later on and get a board almost identical to what you have. I know some guys on here will say use a local shaper, and they can make a good argument for doing so, but its hard to beat the consistancy and quality of the Merricks. They are made in Cali. and not overseas like some boards.

Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    Could you help me with any suggestions then? no joke, i am looking for a new shortboard and would like to hear some advice. Right now I ride a 5'8 al merrick sashimi. It's a good board, so much fun to ride, it is just getting too old, turning yellow, etc. Can anybody help me with a shortboard for New Jersey type waves, basically something that can handle waist high to a few feet overhead, and that is durable and won't turn an ugly yellow color, thanks. I'm 5'7 145 pounds.
    In south jersey I'd check with Brian Wynn.

has anybody ridden one of the Al Merrick Tuflite boards? The consensus is that they suck, but i am hearing from a few people that they are actually good boards.

Images
    The best word to describe the original Tuflite boards is "corky". They are ok in smaller waves, but my experience is that as the wave gets bigger and as you go faster the boards don't feel like they contact the water. In other words, they float to much and are very stiff. I have a Tuflite 2 small wave board which is fun in surf from stomach or chest high and smaller. The Tuflite 2's feel more like a PU board and have similar flex in them, still I would not even think of using it in head high or bigger waves. It is very light and durable; however, it is not my primary small wave board. Bottom line: light weight, durable, price not to bad, but I wouldn't trade it for a good PU board as far as performance is concerned.

Images
    Check out the new Mike Gleason model made by Chemistry. Was pretty much designed for NJ waves.

I have a Chemistry and absolutely love it. Great boards...

Images

Merrick

I say absolutely go for another Merrick and the Flyer model is definitely a great choice. I ride a 6'4" flyer tuflite and in small waves it is perfect. The only problem is I don't know if they make smaller than a 6'1" in the Flyer tuflite which you need if your that small. I know my next board is going to be a PU Flyer quad fin at the same height with about 1/4" more thickness, and i little bit more width. It does seem that the tuflites get a little squirrely in bigger surf so take that into consideration. I don't about everyone else but it seems that no matter what board i've tried in big east coast surf i have problems with control.