LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    they do, i have a 5'10" and i love it, its my main board

your merrick is pu/pe construction i take it.....firewire is a eps /epoxy construction......totally different ride.....

talk to a local shaper first, if it doesnt work out then go for it......

post pics when you get something....

ya tuflites get sketchy when its large and in charge. I took mine out right after hurrican noel last year when it was pushing 2x oh on the sets and the board was way too stiff and bumpy. I have a 5'll santa cruz tufliteshortboard

that being said, i think epoxy boards are great. If the waves are clean and big then they are fine but when the waves get bumpy you'll def be getting thrown around

Images
    I have a 6' 1" tuflite flyer and I love how responsive it is. the only thing that I dont like is the tuflite is so light offshore wind get under it and it almost acts like a sail. depending on your ability level i would def recommend one. the more I have improved the more i prefer i more solid heavier board. if you are interested in buying mine i may make a deal with you b/c im trying to go more toward a 6' 4"...

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    has anybody ridden one of the Al Merrick Tuflite boards? The consensus is that they suck, but i am hearing from a few people that they are actually good boards.
    i have the al merrick flyer 6'1" tuflite love it and it seems it works good for me in head + surf until it maxes out. but some people say they float to much but i learned on a epoxy so im used to the float on it. they're defiently worth what they cost they dont ding. but you gotta try very hard to break on as i did but didnt mean to break it. but if they do break they can be reapired easily, just depending on where u break it. so defeintly get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle View Post
    I have a 6' 1" tuflite flyer and I love how responsive it is. the only thing that I dont like is the tuflite is so light offshore wind get under it and it almost acts like a sail. depending on your ability level i would def recommend one. the more I have improved the more i prefer i more solid heavier board. if you are interested in buying mine i may make a deal with you b/c im trying to go more toward a 6' 4"...
    yeah i dont like how they can fly in the offshore winds but ive gotten use to it and still use it in light offshore but if its howling then i defiently go for my heavier flyer.

there is a happy medium between a tuff lite and a traditional pu/pe board....

go with custom eps/epoxy.......stronger and lighter than poly but not as stiff and corky as tuff lite......

it's a good compramise........it's all i ride....

Exclamation rapidfire: rapid decay

Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    Has anybody else heard of the new Firewire Bamboo stringer surfboard? it's a lot cheaper than their other boards ($595) does anybody know when we can order them?
    dont get this board -- i recently picked one up from a local shop, i hadnt yet heard any negative things about the new firewire rapidfire boards. i purchased the 6'3" / round pin version. after the first time i took it out, i noticed the boards rail, near the tail was cracking for some reason. after another session, this kept happening up and down the rail in the same area and after i decent bail (where the wave really tugged on my leash) i came up and to my surprise a massive munch was taken out of the rail. i brought it into the firewire factory and was told the leash rail saver was doing it -- isnt it supposed to 'save the rail'? going to pick it up from repair, i noticed more damage incurred while at their shop and quickly handed the board back for another repair. then yesterday, i go to get the board again and noticed even more damage plus huge cracks in the rail, mid-board and asked what the deal w/ this board was. i was told that the only real solid protection on the board is on the deck, where the bamboo is located and that the rails and bottom have minimal glassing to limit the boards weight. im afraid to even get back in the water w/ it. despite the susceptibility of damage, this is one of the fastest and hardest turning boards ive ridden but expect it to only last a few months at this rate...

Quote Originally Posted by bravounit3 View Post
    dont get this board -- i recently picked one up from a local shop, i hadnt yet heard any negative things about the new firewire rapidfire boards. i purchased the 6'3" / round pin version. after the first time i took it out, i noticed the boards rail, near the tail was cracking for some reason. after another session, this kept happening up and down the rail in the same area and after i decent bail (where the wave really tugged on my leash) i came up and to my surprise a massive munch was taken out of the rail. i brought it into the firewire factory and was told the leash rail saver was doing it -- isnt it supposed to 'save the rail'? going to pick it up from repair, i noticed more damage incurred while at their shop and quickly handed the board back for another repair. then yesterday, i go to get the board again and noticed even more damage plus huge cracks in the rail, mid-board and asked what the deal w/ this board was. i was told that the only real solid protection on the board is on the deck, where the bamboo is located and that the rails and bottom have minimal glassing to limit the boards weight. im afraid to even get back in the water w/ it. despite the susceptibility of damage, this is one of the fastest and hardest turning boards ive ridden but expect it to only last a few months at this rate...
    that sucks. i will never get that board then.