Well, after being enthused at the fact that my size 14 foot, fit into size 13 Rip Curl, Round Toe, 7 mil, $70 booties...I figured I'd pass along my experience w/ it today as a Public Service Announcement.

This is by far, the most comfortable (out of water and dry), flexible, expensive, and COLDEST bootie I have ever sunk my foot and wallet into.

And the water here isn't even that cold, maybe around 50...I thought I had torn holes into both of them on the walk from the car to the water...the water rushed in that fast, in an instant...there is NO way these are going to cut it when the water gets in the low 30's.

By comparison, my crappy, worn out, 7 mil Rip Curl Classic booties, w/ old holes plugged, bulging seams, and Aquaseal all over it, is actually comparably warmer.

The F-Bomb bootie (at least the pair I took into the water), is a huge disappointment. You could feel the water constantly flushing in like there was a cold hose aimed at it.

Upon further inspection of them in the shower, you could see that the leaks are where the plastic buckle for the strap, affixes to the instep/arch...it was almost imperceptible to the naked eye, but you could see bubbling, and if held at the right angle, pretty free flowing water release when squeezed...and when you step into cold water...wow, it was like the shock of sticking your naked bare foot into ice water! ...or should I say bear...I have about the same footprint as they do. To add to that, when flipping them inside out, the black fabric glued over one of those seams, is already pulling loose...less than 3 hours use.

In any case...for that money, it shouldn't be that way...maybe they'd work ok in 60 degree water...but who needs booties then anyway?

So, for anyone that already has them...I hope yours fair better. For those that don't...stay well clear.

I think, in the end, I've decided that I'd rather have a slightly cramped, mostly dry, warm foot...then a relaxed cold one.

My Xcel Infiniti 7 mil mits are several years old, and you can't even perceive water intrusion (in fact, for the first 15 minutes, even submerged, my hands are dry).

Hopefully the Xcel Drylock booties will be just as comfy...and the 5/4/3 Drylock suit's seams will hold up.

I like the idea of fussing around trying to make my own as well.