LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry pearl-diving on 9'0" longboard?????

I just bought my first longboard (10 yr plus shortboard surfer) and keep having a problem pearldiving on take offs. I don't think that I am too late on take-offs and I feel centered on the board, but as soon as I stand up the nose goes under.

Note, this board has had a repaired craked stringer alost through the center of the board. It is a quality repair job though and it is water tight. I just wonder if the additional weight of the repair has anything to do with this.

Also, I moved the main skeg all the way back in the channel towards the tail. This seemed to help a little.

Is it me or the board?

Thanks

9'0"x 22 x 2.25 performance tri fin longboard

Images
    most likely you are lining up similar to where you would take off on a shortboard - with a longboard you should be sitting quite a ways outside and be up and cruising by the time you get to where you would normally start paddling on your shortboard. But still paddle your butt off like you were on your shortboard. You really have to change your lineup mentality when you switch to a big board.

Images

Most likely. . .

it's you. If it keeps pearling when you do certain things, then don't do them anymore. On a more practical side, try adjusting your approach to the wave with a tad more angle. Once you get the knack of turning the board more effectively, you should find some success.

Longboards are quite a different creature from your average shortboard. Different style, and different skills package. Also, wave types have a lot to do with it. The advantage of a longboard is the ability to pick up the wave further outside where it's not as steep, but if you're still trying to do one paddle takeoffs on the inside, you're asking for face-plants. Be patient, and go for the fun factor, and you'll eventually get a handle on it.

its not weight of the repair. If the board was completely snapped and the rocker botched, that could do it, but your board wasn;t snapped in half.

It sounds like operator error

My advice on paddling into waves on a longboard, is to sit outside, paddle fast, early in, and a nice mid-face turn with weight shifted back, then trim forward and your off to the races/cover-ups. nothing more fun than longboarding in hollow walls.
    Last edited by South Bethany; Dec 5, 2008 at 03:37 PM.

pearl-diving on 9'0" longboard?????

i think that your problem may be that when you pop up to stand, you are too far forward on the board, the increased weight up front is causing the pearl. focus on getting on your feet farther back on the deck of the board - when you're on particularly bigger (or more hollow) waves, it sometimes almost feels like you need to be standing right on top of the skeg!

its just you. its just you man.

When i first started surfing, it was on a shortboard, after a year or two i bought a longboard and was having the same problem. I noticed that i knew how far forward i was popping up on the longboard, but i realized that i knew visualy how much board was in front of me on the shortboard to work right, and natural tendancy was settin in on the longer board. So.... Kurplunk i went, nose in every time. Just think about standing up further back on the board, and you'll be fine. There's nothing quite like a nice slow run on a longboard on a glassy day. good luck

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    your too far up on the nos back down and it takes time to find the sweet spot for where you can stil catch the waves but the nose wont go down.

duck dives

think we all go through this when surfing a shortboard for 10-20 years then trying to pick up one of these logs; my problem was staying to far inside then getting creamed on take off, but you just experimnet with it and eventually will find the sweet spot on the board and how far outside to sit in the lineup...... good thing is that you have the right of way, especailly right on the peak

On another note does anybody have some advice on the duckdives: I've got the whole role the board upside down then pull it under the wave... my only problem is when I'm under the wave sometimes I lose my grip on the board beacuse the sides are slippery ( new expoxy) is there anything I can do to help me get a better grip??? maybee put some wax there??
    Last edited by smithtim; Dec 6, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

That right there sounds like a problem that can be solved with handles. Just an idea. Strap some handles on that longboard and no more slippy rail.