LOGIN | REGISTER

Single Fin dimensions

I have found a local shaper and I am going to meet with him later in the week to discuss dimensions for a retro single fin. Can anybody help me with a size and dimensions for that, just to get an idea for when I meet with him. My main shortboard is 5'8 right now, and i'm 5'7 140 pounds. I was thinking a 5'6-5'8 single fin thats real wide and thick. Any idea's?

Quote Originally Posted by endlessummer89 View Post
    I was thinking a 5'6-5'8 single fin thats real wide and thick. Any idea's?
    My advice is don't get that. Seriously - if you've ridden a board like that ( I have) and liked it then by all means go ahead but that shape was around for a while - it died a quick death and nobody i know has fond memories of them.

I have a shortboard 5'8, a step up shortboard 6'3, and a grain wooden fish 5'10 ( godly board), i'm just trying to build up my quiver with different types of boards, after I started riding that fish I loved the cruisy feel of the retro board, which is why I was thinking of getting the single fin, or maybe even a quad fish, thanks for your input though, anybody else have any experience about the single fin?

Go longer and narrower. Like 6-6 x 19.5 or so. I have a mid 70-s single fin stinger that is 7-0 x 20 x 3 that works great. I am same height as you but a little bit heavier. Go tucked under to hard rail and you have a great stick for biggish steepish surf (like hatteras). The extra volume helps now that it is 5/4 wetsuit season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Go longer and narrower.
    yup...exactly. The really short wide single fins just won't turn like you would want a 5'8" to turn. Get your single fin like 6'6", wide point forward, pulled in rounded pintail, hard rails and go for barrels in down the line waves.
    Last edited by scotty; Dec 7, 2008 at 02:27 AM.