LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outer Banks

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I've surfed very good waves all up and down the coast... But, of course, we are all going to love our home breaks! Unless of course, you live in VB, then you just love the Outer Banks breaks...

Here's one for the light weights... its a frame grab from MIA.

I pulled this one out of the archives. Notice the Delawaresurf.com... this was my old site like 10 years ago, if anyone was checking my forecasts back then.
    um please tell me that that is not shore break? cause if that is the shorebreak i would crap my self.

Images

Ummmmm

Are you in need of some Depends?

Most regions along the Mid Atlantic and Northeast have some heavy breaks...

I wouldn't necessarily claim that Hatteras has the heaviest tho...

Because of its location, Hatteras does pick up a lot of swell, and may be the most consistent east coast area. And, one very noticeable difference, is on the longer period ground swells, the continental shelf plays less of a role on offshore swell decay - so hatteras will often pick up the ground swells bigger.

On the negative side, Hatteras does get maxed out when there is a big enough swell, where it breaks way out on the outside bars.
    On a clean Hatteras ground swell you can get some nice breaks out on the shoals, mostly short rides but nice drops and turns (at least towards the north end). Negotiating the shore break and first couple of sandbars are a royal b*tch.

I've seen Frisco and S-Turns very heavy. I haven't seen any other spots on macking swells so I don't have a frame of reference for comparison, but I have seen pictures and they didn't look as thick. Most bars on Hatteras don't max out till the faces are double overhead (depending on the swell direction), and even still, if you look hard enough, you can probably find an outside bar that can handle it, you just have to make it out there, which can a challenge in itself.

Hatteras is not the heaviest spot on the east coast. There are plenty of reefs way up north in new hampshire and maine that on the right swell, can make a macking S turns barrel look like childs play. That being said, I will agree that that the Outer Banks is the best/most fun place to surf on the east coast.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Hatteras is not the heaviest spot on the east coast. There are plenty of reefs way up north in new hampshire and maine that on the right swell, can make a macking S turns barrel look like childs play. That being said, I will agree that that the Outer Banks is the best/most fun place to surf on the east coast.
    May we see please?

I've surfed very good waves all up and down the coast... But, of course, we are all going to love our home breaks! Unless of course, you live in VB, then you just love the Outer Banks breaks...

Here's one for the light weights... its a frame grab from MIA.

I pulled this one out of the archives. Notice the Delawaresurf.com... this was my old site like 10 years ago, if anyone was checking my forecasts back then.
    I live in VB. I can make Rodanthe in a little over an hour and a half. On my days off, henever there is something worth while (4ft.+), I make the drive. I do get stuck in VB though when I have to work or have class that day and it sucks. It is mostly always at least a foot or two bigger down south and the islands block most of our swells anywhere out of the S to SW. I've seen it quite honestly flat in VB and surfed the Lighthouse in clean SW swell wrap that was 5-6ft. VB does have some redeeming features if you don't mind the crowd.

Images
    Yeah.... alright Jersey is thickest. half of you guys are talking about Hatteras when you probably havent even been there..... half of you havent even been to OC either........

I just wanted to say that the picture that Micah posted is a small one, if you ask me. And in no way does it do that spot justice.

When that place has real death pits tear assing through that place, it does not look like it could be some unknown little sopt on the eastcoast. Looking south it does not look like anything but spots some 3000 plus miles away. The Legend Live...

Ya, straight up, seems like most of you have never even been to The OBX, so your pretty much just talking out your butt. But you guys saying Hatty is the heaviest wave on the east coast just dont know your stuff. Anywhere can be heavy!! And Ill tell u what, i Surfed 10 foot long island barrels, and they were macking waaaaaay harder than any wave ive ever surfed down south.

Once again, if you really want to know where the heaviest breaks on the east coast are, than u need to head to the northeast. Soooo many secret reefs and points up there in Maine and NH. I cannot believe that you Jerseyites never take any trips up there, You guys got a coldwater Indo a few hours drive from your house!!!!!! I highly reccomend any of you go up there on a good swell and check it out for yourself.

P.S... If any of you ever do make it up there, just remember to do some exploring. It isn't like a beach town up there, with boardwalks and all that crap. Most of the coast up there has no road next to it, so if your planning on just rolling up there and hoping to spot a decent wave, well your pretty screwed. Just remember Google Earth is your Friend!!!!