LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Flicks...

Surf Flicks...

I was wondering what peoples opinion were on the best surf movies and/or documentaries ever made? Maybe a favorite for each category?...

I'd have to say "Riding Giants" is the best documentary I've seen and as far as a movie just because it still makes me laugh and wanna rob banks, "Point Break"....

Images

I've posted this before, but. . .

''Surfing for Life'' is a real classic. Netflix has it available for rental and the rest of the information about the video can be found at http://www.surfingforlife.com/
    Let me know what you think of it once you've seen it. The reparte' between VanDyke and Peter Cole is absolutely classic.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Jan 7, 2009 at 05:38 PM.

there was a good thread about this 2 months ago, search for it, lots of good input

I thought point break was horrible. he drops in on this one guy and then wonders why all the "rowdy locals" are ganging up on him. it's a bad influence because people (those who are just learning how to surf) think that there is no etiquette in surfing.

anyone see teh movie surfer dude?? i wasnterd to see it but never got the chance too

Images

I'll let you know

Surfer Dude is a lot like Point Break, more about the characters and their questionable characters than it really is about surfing. It's only unlike Gidget in that it uses more graphic language and nudity, but then pretty much anything these days is a far cry from Gidget- and that had minimal surfing in it, and Surfer Dude has even less surfing, unless female bodysurfing counts.

So, here's the skinny on it. It's a real goat. Literally. 1% of the film has any surfing in it- remember this is a story about the ''Dude's'' depression over there being NO waves, so there are literally NO waves. A lot like Gidget where you see surfers standing on the beach with their boards wistfully looking at waves, but clearly visible in the background of a cutaway angle, there's nothing ridable. Gidget all the way.

Worse yet, it's a bad Gidget, combined with about 2,000-3,000 uses of ''Dude,'' ''Bro,'' ''Brah,'' et al. Fortunately, Matthew McConaughey's reputation as an actor is done more damage by this movie than is the sport of surfing. It's pretty much his project from start to finish, including the music direction and performances, and even Woody Harrelson can't rescue it from an appropriately watery grave. And that's a sad commentary.

It portrays the quintessential surfer as a constantly flamed burn-out who's always got 30 scantily clad (or less) girls in bikinis to party with at a mansion overlooking Malibu (not really but they want you think it's Malibu).

Suffice to say, it's a terrible movie- and for anybody who really likes it, well. . . ''Dude, I'm sure you can relate to it.''
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Jan 10, 2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Post viewing review of ''Surfer Dude''

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    ''Surfing for Life'' is a real classic. Netflix has it available for rental and the rest of the information about the video can be found at http://www.surfingforlife.com/
    Let me know what you think of it once you've seen it. The reparte' between VanDyke and Peter Cole is absolutely classic.

you might also want to check out Surfwise which is about the truly strange guy doc paskowicz. Warning - its not really a surf flick - but man that Doc is out there

Anyone seen Bustin' Down the Door yet??? that looks great.

The Clay Marzo flick "Just Add Water" is good. It goes into some detail about Clay's autism and how it has made him the person he is in and out of the water. The surf footage is incredible.

"Zen and Zero" is worth a look, too, but not necessarily for the surfing footage. It is about these five Austrians who drive from LA to Pavones. It's filmed in 8mm with this groovy jazz funk soundtrack--definitely has a cool vibe.

bustin down the door