LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Biggest East Coast Wave

What's the biggest wave ever recorded or seen on the East Coast? Any tales or pics to share?

Images
    There was a thread with the same question posted not too long ago.. search back a little bit and you'll see it..

Images
    Well....I don't know the biggest ever....But I do know Hurricane Gloria did produce a 30 something FT wave in Manasquan. I don't have the picture but I'm sure someone does.

Images
    I've seen this picture. I can't recall where it is. If I find it, I'll post a link.

Images

Images
    Here it is I found it.

Last edited by Aguaholic; Dec 9, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Images

Ash Wednesday Storm 1962

The Ash Wednesday Storm ripped apart most of the east coast producing some huge surf. Don't think anyone was in it but here is a pick taken from the dunes in Kitty Hawk, NC. Damn big surf. How big do you think that was??

ash wed storm of 62.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by live2surf View Post
    The Ash Wednesday Storm ripped apart most of the east coast producing some huge surf. Don't think anyone was in it but here is a pick taken from the dunes in Kitty Hawk, NC. Damn big surf. How big do you think that was??

ash wed storm of 62.jpg
    holy sh1t!!! dude look how tiny those homes look! good find!!!

Quote Originally Posted by live2surf View Post

ash wed storm of 62.jpg
    I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo but it's the biggest wave posted on this thread. If I had to postulate and using the houses as a marker I would say 40', and is that a young Jeff Clark skating down the face of it? Whatever the case may be big waves do come through the East Coast and using all the contemporary photos posted I would say 20' isn't out of the realm of reality for the east coast. My experience says OBX has an outer reef that starts firing with the right swells (see frisco pier pic) and is the likeliest place to handle a ridable big wave. The question beckons then; who has surfed the biggest? Who knows and that's the beauty of it, there might very well be this spot firing off something special with the right swell that no one really knows about, and at this very moment some 70 year old fisherman with shark toothed necklaces is surfing 50' foot faces off the core banks living the dream...