LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    yes thats tim tice on the bottom of that wave, puts the size into prespective! pretty sick pic

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    so then why arent any surfers on it and why is he just going straight?

"so then why arent any surfers on it and why is he just going straight?"

That is an entirely different thread........

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    so then why arent any surfers on it and why is he just going straight?
    Trust me plenty of those waves got ridn that day. That one double,tripled and the quadrupled up and Tim was just happy he got out in front of it. That was A SICK DAY!

Joel Tice

Tim Tice

Tim going str8 again....lmao
    Last edited by OCSpongR; Dec 10, 2008 at 02:44 AM.

Images
    Ok. I just want to chime in with what I know of Manasquan. The way the inlet there is set up. The point beach side, holds a decent swell and will break good on a pretty big sized swell. That being said, with compared to point, Manasquan's beach is set back... an extra 500ft. So all those photos you see of Jenks going off 200' past the end of the jetty, its about 400-500' offshore... the same distance is gonna be between 900-1000' offshore in Manasquan... You tell me, but I'm pretty sure that a big wave can be held there that far off shore. Thats not the only photo I've seen of waves breaking that high onto the rocks on either side of the inlet, and I personally have seen waves that big crashing inside the channel of the inlet...

I'm not gonna say these waves are ridable... but there has definitely been 20-30' waves in Manasquan...

Images

Ash Wednesday Storm 1962

The Ash Wednesday Storm ripped apart most of the east coast producing some huge surf. Don't think anyone was in it but here is a pick taken from the dunes in Kitty Hawk, NC. Damn big surf. How big do you think that was??

ash wed storm of 62.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by live2surf View Post
    The Ash Wednesday Storm ripped apart most of the east coast producing some huge surf. Don't think anyone was in it but here is a pick taken from the dunes in Kitty Hawk, NC. Damn big surf. How big do you think that was??

ash wed storm of 62.jpg
    holy sh1t!!! dude look how tiny those homes look! good find!!!

Images

Time to chime in Micah. . .

Let's apply some wave science. A wave can only be as big as the water is deep in a particular location. As soon as any wave feels the bottom, it breaks, so a 10 ft wave will start breaking in 10 feet of water. How deep is the bottom where that wave is pictured? Please refer to Willard Bascom's book, ''Waves and Beaches'' for additional details like calculating wave speed and typical sand movement issues.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waves-Beaches-.../dp/0385148445

These were the pics SpongeOC was referring to that he took at the OC Inlet during Noel:

Believe it or not, these were full color shots- but the day was so gray it looks B&W.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Dec 10, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Update

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    Ok. I just want to chime in with what I know of Manasquan. The way the inlet there is set up. The point beach side, holds a decent swell and will break good on a pretty big sized swell. That being said, with compared to point, Manasquan's beach is set back... an extra 500ft. So all those photos you see of Jenks going off 200' past the end of the jetty, its about 400-500' offshore... the same distance is gonna be between 900-1000' offshore in Manasquan... You tell me, but I'm pretty sure that a big wave can be held there that far off shore. Thats not the only photo I've seen of waves breaking that high onto the rocks on either side of the inlet, and I personally have seen waves that big crashing inside the channel of the inlet...

I'm not gonna say these waves are ridable... but there has definitely been 20-30' waves in Manasquan...
    Yea Manasquan can def hold a swell that big...seen my self...never 30ft but rele damn close.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Let's apply some wave science. A wave can only be as big as the water is deep in a particular location. As soon as any wave feels the bottom, it breaks, so a 10 ft wave will start breaking in 10 feet of water.
    Here is the depth at which a wave will start the shoaling process (start interacting with the bottom).

Depth(ft) = Period*Period * 2.56ft , where period is in seconds.

10 sec period => 256 ft
    12 sec period => 369 ft.
    14 sec period => 502 ft.
    16 sec period => 655 ft.
    18 sec period => 829 ft.
    20 sec period => 1024 ft

So, a 10ft wave @ 12 seconds (a solid East Coast swell), will start feeling the ocean bottom at 369ft depth.