LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Not trying to spark controversy

I have to ask all the bodyboarders a question.

Have you guys tried surfing at all and if so what made you stop, lose interest, or prefer bodyboarding?

I understand the debate this might cause but i've always wondered as a previously avid bodyboarder who all but abandoned the sport after a started surfing.

Images
    Stood up surfed for about 4-5 years and just started bodyboarding this past summer.

Honestly, I enjoy bodyboarding more. Everyone you surf (bodyboard) with pushes you and they all get stoked.

I really enjoy finding those heavy, jacked-up waves that you wouldn't (well most wouldn't) stand up surf on. It is also a lot cheaper and MUCH easier to get around with it.

When it comes down to it... if anyone has a problem, **** EM'! I am having fun regardless if I'm standing up or laying down.

I do both, but prefer bodyboarding because I'm just not that great of a surfer. No, not a kooky one, I bet I have more respect in the line up than a lot of guys.

But I seriously need a certain set of conditions to surf otherwise I can't do anything. It's gotta be like knee/thigh with inconsistent waist and semi spilling, not dumping. I've been able to surf chest high days at IBSP since that's a spilling wave but anywhere else forget it.

So that leaves the other 95% of days where it's fast and hollow for me to bodyboard. But whatever, I'm having fun doing it and thats all that matters. ^^^What he said, **** them if they have a problem we are out here to have fun, surfers and BBers alike. I have respect for both.
    Last edited by ridewaves; Dec 11, 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Good question. I do both and love them both. i love the barrels in surfing and the power under your legs doing huge turns and airs. But then again bodyboarding fun for dumpy days and close outs. Also BB you can hit that lip and launch into these crazy maneuvers. But i still i just want to out there and respect the who ever comes out.

i started riding on a bodyboard. two years later, borrowed my friend's 6'0, and in three tries had my first wave. never touched a piece of foam since. must have been six years ago.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    i started riding on a bodyboard. two years later, borrowed my friend's 6'0, and in three tries had my first wave. never touched a piece of foam since. must have been six years ago.
    What are you riding...a 6'0 fully wooden board? hahha... j/k

Quote Originally Posted by ridewaves View Post
    I do both, but prefer bodyboarding because I'm just not that great of a surfer. No, not a kooky one, I bet I have more respect in the line up than a lot of guys.

But I seriously need a certain set of conditions to surf otherwise I can't do anything. It's gotta be like knee/thigh with inconsistent waist and semi spilling, not dumping.
    same here. the glide of no fins on the board is nice. I want to get into standup surfing more, but really it's hard for me to pass up getting barrelled on a bodyboard for "working on my standup". next summer I plan on taking fiberglass out the majority of the time so I can really get into it.

I personally find bodyboarding more fun because its easier to get barreled on smaller waves and you can get a lot deeper on any size barrel. Plus airs are a lot of fun. I prefer standing up when the waves are under chest high though because you just cant get that much power on a boog.

i started out bodyboarding when i was really little, mom would take me to the beach etc... my brother introduced me to surfing like once or twice but never caught on or had the time. when i turned 16 i was able to take myself and got into standup more but never let bodyboarding go because i longboard and it requires certain waves. i have a 9'6" for most days under head high and just recently got an 8' firewire that is better for bigger waves but im still trying to figure that board out.

reguardless of size though, is how the wave is throwing, like everyone else says, if its pitching, surfing is pretty much out of the question.

i like surfing better and i do it more, but when it comes to bodyboarding i have just as much fun because it usually means big hallow waves

thanks to SC for the pics

i used o only body board but once i got the hang of surfing i stoped body boarding except on those rare 1 1/2 overhead days where i body board because im not quite as good at surfing yet...