LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sea Bright
    Posts
    48
    Images
    2
    I've done both. I can not for the life of me see how people find body boarding more fun then surfing. Some of the above posts prove the point that body boarding is for people not athletic enough to surf. Surfing is difficult..takes time to master. Today's culture of immediate gratification has youngins drawn to bodyboarding more and more. I will admit..surfing is a bit more expensive..especially when your board breaks and you're more limited in where you can go out but laying down on a wave vs standing up on a wave is no comparison.

    I don't disparage anyone for body boarding, but in my humble opinion it's no where near as fun as surfing.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Surfer View Post
    I've done both. I can not for the life of me see how people find body boarding more fun then surfing. Some of the above posts prove the point that body boarding is for people not athletic enough to surf.
    One could make that argument... but then can't we just say you stereotyped? By all means, I'm not trying to argue or say you're wrong...but have you seen pro-bodyboarders charging the waves they do and do the maneuvers they do?

    And I don't know if you have read my post before, but I have stood up surfed for about 4-5 years before bodyboarding... and I am plenty athletic.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    over there, around here
    Posts
    143
    Images
    10
    [QUOTE=Shadow Surfer;24857]Some of the above posts prove the point that body boarding is for people not athletic enough to surf[QUOTE]

    I was a three sport starter through high school, I talked to a few colleges about basketball in the tenth grade. I bodyboard because it is a challenge to ride the types of waves, and I personally hated the "dude bra" surfing crowd. I feel you have to be more athletic to be a bodyboarder with just as much if not more core strength. I believe people bodyboard for thier own reasons, not because they aren't "athletic" enough.

  4. #14
    I rode a longboard for about one year. Then the shortboard revolution hit the shores during the winter of '67-'68 and the longboard was stripped and made into a real wave riding machine. During this time I also started riding a paipo and bodysurfing. The paipo was a must-have at spots like Gas Chambers in the pre-leash, pre-bodyboard days. I'd become an okay longboarder/shortboarder, but continued to drift to riding the paipo for a whole litany of reasons, and it was my main ride during the winter of '69-'70 and beyond. I did buy a longish board during one late summer in the late-70s while down in Hatteras, a nice 8'6" G&S Hot Curl pin-tail, for those really small days when I couldn't really ride my little board.

    If I ever regress to stand-up riding it would be for those crappy days... the main ride is for *good surf*. BTW, my board is about 50" long and does have fins -- and not as much float as a typical bodyboard.

  5. #15
    i started out bodyboarding when i was really little, mom would take me to the beach etc... my brother introduced me to surfing like once or twice but never caught on or had the time. when i turned 16 i was able to take myself and got into standup more but never let bodyboarding go because i longboard and it requires certain waves. i have a 9'6" for most days under head high and just recently got an 8' firewire that is better for bigger waves but im still trying to figure that board out.

    reguardless of size though, is how the wave is throwing, like everyone else says, if its pitching, surfing is pretty much out of the question.

    i like surfing better and i do it more, but when it comes to bodyboarding i have just as much fun because it usually means big hallow waves






    thanks to SC for the pics

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    I enjoy bodyboarding heavy waves. I mostly rode the stick during the summer when surf is on the smaller side. I'd like to advance my riding on both vehicles.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Surfer View Post
    I<snip, snip>... I will admit..surfing is a bit more expensive..especially when your board breaks and you're more limited in where you can go out but laying down on a wave vs standing up on a wave is no comparison.

    I don't disparage anyone for body boarding, but in my humble opinion it's no where near as fun as surfing.
    I will make an analogy to your statement above... a symphony orchestra lover's humble opinion is that a top rate ska band is no where near as pleasing as a well turned Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Fun is in the gusto of the beholder or practitioner.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sea Bright
    Posts
    48
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Db2k5 View Post
    I was a three sport starter through high school, I talked to a few colleges about basketball in the tenth grade. I bodyboard because it is a challenge to ride the types of waves, and I personally hated the "dude bra" surfing crowd. I feel you have to be more athletic to be a bodyboarder with just as much if not more core strength. I believe people bodyboard for thier own reasons, not because they aren't "athletic" enough.
    LOL ohhh ok!..in that case...i didn't mean to offend you or any other "mister three sport high school stars" out there, but my post is just my opinion based on what i've personally experienced and see with my own two eyes!!
    Last edited by Shadow Surfer; Dec 11, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    Doesn't matter what you do in the ocean. From surfing to bodyboarding to bodysurfing, even to kayaking. Gotta be athletic to do any one of those. Just each focuses on different aspects. Surfing focuses a lot of leg strength and balance, where as body boarding focuses a lot of core muscles. Bodysurfing requires a lot of endurance cause you're kicking the whole wave if you plan on making it out and kayaking requires a lot of arm work...

    All are fun... no need to get aggravated over something someone enjoys. Live and let live...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    686
    Images
    5
    hmmm this thread has gone relatively smooth. well done!