LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seals?

"BABY, i compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave"

Seal's at it again

late last winter i encountered a seal at 41st street in oc. i was trying to give him a wide berth, but he was just as interested in me as i was in him and he kept following me. it was kinda cool and kinda creepy at the same time. let's face it, he swims better than me and he has sharper teeth. rangers at assateague said that they come ashore there and hang out for a few days during their migrations.

I read this forum yesterday and until today i had never seen a seal in the lineup but sure enough off the 18th street jetty down at belmar one popped up. I thought my mind was making it up because i read this forum but two other guys off the jetty confirmed that it was a seal. Its funny how you see things after they are brought to your attention.

Images
    I am so tired of aquatic life. Me and two friends were down surfing frisco pier thursday morning and had a pretty good size shark come right at us. Luckily we were all about ready for breakfast anyway, but that definitely expedited our paddle in. My first up close shark encounter and i'm not real stoke on it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zansurf View Post
    I am so tired of aquatic life. Me and two friends were down surfing frisco pier thursday morning and had a pretty good size shark come right at us. Luckily we were all about ready for breakfast anyway, but that definitely expedited our paddle in. My first up close shark encounter and i'm not real stoke on it.
    I dont think anyone is too stoked to see sharks. how big was it?

Images

One thing for sure. . .

. . . the more seals you see, the more sharks will be around licking their chops. The only freak-out for me is when you're paddling and on one particular stroke, you touch something you know is bigger than just your average oversized Rockfish. And it feels alive.

What would you do? Paddle more, paddle less, not paddle at all? Choices, choices.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    . . . the more seals you see, the more sharks will be around licking their chops. The only freak-out for me is when you're paddling and on one particular stroke, you touch something you know is bigger than just your average oversized Rockfish. And it feels alive.

What would you do? Paddle more, paddle less, not paddle at all? Choices, choices.
    Yea man when sh!t brushes up against you leg or your hand hits something that you know thats not you or your board....OH MAN!!! That stuff has given me the jibbies once or twice

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    wow... i was down at obx this week surfing s turns and i wanted to head down to frisco thursday morning too but we ended up sleeping past our alarm from exhaustion. funny thing is is that the one thing i was fearing for being so far south for the first time was sharks. i would've **** my wetsuit and frenzied back to shore

Could you tell what type it was? Was it a hammerhead? I don't think hammerheads attack people but if it were any other, that would definitely psych me out too. I know they are out there and probably close by, but out of sight is out of mind.

Images
    I couldn't tell exactly how big it was, but it was big enough to warrant a quick scramble to the beach. I couldn't tell what kind it was, but my buddies saw it jump so I don't think it was a hammerhead. I'm not up on my shark knowledge though.