LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62
  1. #31
    Well I live in DE, so I will probably end up going to University of Delaware, which is a great school. Part of me just wants to get away from everyone around here and go surf all day, hehe. I didn't really look into Jersey schools as thoroughly as I wanted, but I ended up applying to East Carolina as one of my backups, so that's good surf area. I really don't mind getting up early and making the 1-2 hour drive to Henlopen, Tower, or OC though so hopefully I'll get into University of Delaware. Thanks for all the suggestions.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by xgen70 View Post
    I do teach fools, maybe some of you forgot that, others do not know....I teach in an enviroment which I can say for fact that you, who ever "you" may be can not handle.

    I was giving out some true experiences.......read into it want you want.

    Micah, for you to suggest such a thing, what an extreme u turn,... really... "molested", the choice of that of the word seems, odd to say the least. That one may have been building up for some time, so I can understand, it is cool.

    And for the others, well some really have no life experiences yet for what I speak, and others wait for these moments to "pile on", ...Yes I can play football well also.

    By the way, they even just had an article on foxnews/cnn about exactly of what I was speaking of......It is truthful and accurate. Sorry for trying to help some of those younger then me. But that is my job, and i always teach from the center. I never repress any students views. Also I am neither conservative or liberal, because extreme views, either right or left suck. And If you need letters of rec. for my teaching, let me know, I got plenty and can get plenty more. I love my students and my students love me, because I treat them with respect and care about their futures. And that is why I said what I said, nothing more, nothing less. So from the bottom of my heart, if you what to make more out of it then what it was, You can DROP DEAD

    If you had a problem with my opinion on this one, the problem is truely yours and all yours.
    So you're a teacher... and you're telling all of us students to "not speak our minds" cause that will get us in trouble. Are you ****ing kidding me? You're approaching your PHD, and you sound like the people you were talking about "that know next to nothing" of real life experiences. Grow up and get over yourself. I'd much rather speak my mind then let some bull**** professor walk all over me. And I'd do the same to you, whether I fail or pass.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Pines
    Posts
    198
    Images
    9
    Where and what do you teach?

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Surffi123 View Post
    I completely agree with RideHigh.

    I made the mistake of going to a school in Florida, with a sub par education, only to surf. I soon realized that the education was crap and that I needed to get my priorities in order. Like Ridehigh, I put surfing "on hold" during the winter months to get my education. In the summertime I returned home and surfed my brains out (as much as I could), but obviously, I had to make some sacrifices.

    Because of the education I received and the 4 years I "sacraficed", the connections I made at University...etc, I now have a great job in NYC (amidst the current market) and can afford to take vacations to anywhere in the world to surf.

    Please do not think I am trying to brag, but to the original poster - I was in your shoes at one time. You need to get your priorities lined out and everything will fall into place thereafter. Aim high and you will not regret it.
    i completly agree....but i seriously think i might go crazy. my sister goes to pittsburgh, and really have no idea how she does it. education is the most important because it will set the rest of your life up, but i also think you should do what you love. unc w would be my first choice, but it got so hard to get into. shiiiittt. i guess ill have to find another good school kinda near the beach...give me some good ideas people

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    595
    Images
    81
    What program are you looking for? That'll help us narrow a good school near the beach

  6. #36
    This is one thread That i surely do not and did not want to get off topic, hence the reason I began my first post as sorry to get off topic.

    That being said, It is your life, feel free to live it as you please, I know I do and say as i please. But you do, we all do,.. have to lay in the bed we make for ourselves. For some of you to run with what I said, and twist it in your own minds, that is you. And I am not saying that I have not done the same myself over times past. But please understand, it was in fact a post made with the most sincere of intentions.

    College, cost big bucks, if you want to speak your mind that is fine, I see nothing wrong with it, in fact it is what we would all hope,...in a perfect world and a country that claims to cherish free speech, we would be able to do,..without fear of our positions on any topic or issue being held against us. But you do not need to look to far to see that anything you say or do, will be held against you. The Smart Move would be to hold many of your strongly held beliefs to your chest,...that was my main point<<<<<. Once again, do your work, do it on time and try your best to never give any professor reason to poop on you. It was simple enough. If you want to argue the point please PM your anger and misunderstanding.

    This shold be a positive thread, and I do take some responsibility for it moving in other directions, for that I am sorry. Other then that, go fish...if you do not know, then by all means find out by yourself. There were plenty of times when I heard the voices of those who were older, and more experienced in all types of matters, echo in my head when I made the same mistakes that I had been warned of. But that is life, learn as you go. Just remember that some lessons can cost a boat load of money.......you figure it out.

    As always, best of luck to all those seeking higher education, and I to would agree thatit is best to get it done and over with, you will always have time to slip ina surf here and there. But once it is done and your making your money, you can break away from places such as these, and go on to bigger and better things.

  7. #37
    Sounds like the REAL world to me, regardless of political stripe.

    Quote Originally Posted by xgen70 View Post
    if I may,...this is a little off topic,...but.

    I want to give some sincere advice to those in college and those getting ready to attend one.

    What ever you do, never give any professor a reason to poop on you.

    There are far to many people with advanced degrees that know next to nothing about some of the most simplest things. They may call it liberal arts, but what that means is that you have no rights what so ever, to speak your mind or to have a hint of any type of views (conservatives should never speak your mind) other then the ones They think are the correct ones. Many will lie and go so far as to try and ruin your future if they can. Just like life, there are pieces of trash everywhere, and many have a PH. D. before their name. Never allow yourself to fall for the idea that they know something or even more then you. But never let them know that. Do all your work, on time and never argue any point. Always document everything, by email or notes to yourself sent to yourself through email.

    Many teaching have never had any real life experience in their fields, and many times the reason they are teaching is that they could not handle the real world of work.

    Yes there are many GREAT and Wonderful Professors, and many times you will see their classes over run by students who want to attend them. But trust me, never put yourself in any position where you are at odds with any of them.

    Outside of pulling a Black OP on them, you options will be very limited.

    It makes no sense really,... at the college level we have always been told that opposing views are what drives research and study in all fields, however, many times the opposite is true. There is nothing worst then some worthless *uck that has really never done anything other then gaining tenure......they truely are a nightmare.
    Always ask around first before you sign up for your classes, it will help you. Remember, once they get tenure they are accountable next to no one.

    Thank you for allowing me to vent off topic...and by the way, not that I know much, I am approaching a PH d,....credit count wise. so I have seen the good and the bad, and so far it seems as though the bad is real bad when you see it. best of luck, and yes in the end it is worth it.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricbanana69 View Post
    Well I live in DE, so I will probably end up going to University of Delaware, which is a great school. Part of me just wants to get away from everyone around here and go surf all day, hehe. I didn't really look into Jersey schools as thoroughly as I wanted, but I ended up applying to East Carolina as one of my backups, so that's good surf area. I really don't mind getting up early and making the 1-2 hour drive to Henlopen, Tower, or OC though so hopefully I'll get into University of Delaware. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I spent close to 8 years at UD and dont have anything bad to say about it... Good luck in getting in, I hear it is getting harder and harder for in state acceptance.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricbanana69 View Post
    Well I live in DE, so I will probably end up going to University of Delaware, which is a great school. Part of me just wants to get away from everyone around here and go surf all day, hehe. I didn't really look into Jersey schools as thoroughly as I wanted, but I ended up applying to East Carolina as one of my backups, so that's good surf area. I really don't mind getting up early and making the 1-2 hour drive to Henlopen, Tower, or OC though so hopefully I'll get into University of Delaware. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I went to UD and it was just as easy to head over to Jersey for waves. You have options.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by xgen70 View Post
    This is one thread That i surely do not and did not want to get off topic, hence the reason I began my first post as sorry to get off topic.

    That being said, It is your life, feel free to live it as you please, I know I do and say as i please. But you do, we all do,.. have to lay in the bed we make for ourselves. For some of you to run with what I said, and twist it in your own minds, that is you. And I am not saying that I have not done the same myself over times past. But please understand, it was in fact a post made with the most sincere of intentions.

    College, cost big bucks, if you want to speak your mind that is fine, I see nothing wrong with it, in fact it is what we would all hope,...in a perfect world and a country that claims to cherish free speech, we would be able to do,..without fear of our positions on any topic or issue being held against us. But you do not need to look to far to see that anything you say or do, will be held against you. The Smart Move would be to hold many of your strongly held beliefs to your chest,...that was my main point<<<<<. Once again, do your work, do it on time and try your best to never give any professor reason to poop on you. It was simple enough. If you want to argue the point please PM your anger and misunderstanding.

    This shold be a positive thread, and I do take some responsibility for it moving in other directions, for that I am sorry. Other then that, go fish...if you do not know, then by all means find out by yourself. There were plenty of times when I heard the voices of those who were older, and more experienced in all types of matters, echo in my head when I made the same mistakes that I had been warned of. But that is life, learn as you go. Just remember that some lessons can cost a boat load of money.......you figure it out.

    As always, best of luck to all those seeking higher education, and I to would agree thatit is best to get it done and over with, you will always have time to slip ina surf here and there. But once it is done and your making your money, you can break away from places such as these, and go on to bigger and better things.
    I honestly have found it a little bit different than what you describe. Certainly most of my professors have political opinions which contradict mine, but as decent professors they avoid as much as possible bringing politics into the classroom/lecture hall.

    To say that one should keep their beliefs to their chest gives a wrong impression. I've had one class so far where I felt like my political beliefs would hinder my grade, so when asked to write on political views, I simply steered away from my more conservative leanings and tried to write about either non-right/left views or some moderate ideas... I would advise nobody to lie about their political beliefs.

    College is about learning, both in and out of class. A grade point average is just a number, which has little to do with actual knowledge. Just as an example, last year I took a macroeconomics class. Using information I learned, I was able to pretty accurately forecast what was going to happen with our economy every step of the way. I made several good stock decisions (though one REALLY bad one just killed my little portfolio). Hell, I even called what would happen with the Big Three! Yet I got a C+ in the class because I couldn't figure out how to answer the questions on the midterms and final exactly how my professor wanted. Does that C+ matter? I don't think so. I learned a hell of a lot more than most of my peers did, even ones who got As.

    Especially in classes where opinions are required, I have found that professors may penalize students for having opposing beliefs, but the reason they do is not because they have opposing beliefs; rather it is because the students do a terrible job of describing and defending their points of view. So far, I've had three professors say explicitly to me, "I know we often disagree, but you never back down from your ideas unless you realize they are wrong. You always do a good job to explain yourself." Professors enjoy when students provide a good basis for disagreement; they do NOT enjoy when students simply say, "I disagree" or "You're wrong."

    Maybe my conception of most professors is wrong since I've got limited experience, but I feel like I go to an extremely liberal school, and I have had five political science courses so far in my tenure, all of which required opinions and defending them, and all of my professors (and TAs) have respected my opinions as long as they are well founded. Just sayin'.

    BTW, to the original point, good luck getting into UDel. If you're looking for a backup... it depends on what you want to do... if you're looking to go into engineering, apply to Drexel in Philly... it's a freakin' awesome school for engineering, and you'll do a co-op for a semester or a year, which will basically guarantee you a good job when you graduate. Plus it's right next to 30th Street Station, which will get you to Atlantic City in an hour and a half. UNCW in NC is also a decent school and close to surf. mm, some NYC schools might also be a good idea. Fordham is an option if you have over a 3.0 and, I'd say, 1100 SATs (out of 1600... no clue about 2400). Going to school in NYC = subways to Penn Station which = trains down the North Jersey shore points. And then places like Rutgers, Monmouth, or schools like that are reasonably close to water.