LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    bbdottk's response is spot-on although I will beg to differ on the potential importance of your college GPA. A very good to excellent GPA can grease the skids in qualifying for financial assistance in grad school or placing in an company/corp/govt internship or recruiting program. The intern program where I worked for some 25+ years placed nobody but the cream - most of the intern resumes I reviewed for placement on my projects were grad students that had 3.8+ GPAs in their undergrad studies. I earned as graduate teaching assistantship on the strength of my last two years undergraduate work and the grades in a couple of key upper division courses. Like college itself, your grades are all about opening doors and enhancing your opportunities. Go to the best college/university that you can, but regardless of which one you attend, seek out the most challenging professors.
    Last edited by rodndtube; Dec 20, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo!

Images

It doesn't matter where you go. . .

what matters is why. Professors are not there to dole out wisdom, they're there to assist you with growing yours. In the end, you wind up teaching yourself, and if you don't, it's no one's fault but your own. The most important thing about college is that it teaches you how to learn, and how to think things through for yourself. ALL of my professors helped me do that.

Thirty-seven years ago I got away from the ocean to go to school. It certainly helped with concentration, and of course finding a solid career that has kept me 2 miles from a wide range of breaks with substantial quality waves for a lifetime, and is now sending me a decent monthly check for surfing. It sure beats the commute from Annapolis to surf, if you know what I mean. . .
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Dec 21, 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Response to TBing

Images
    MDSurfer... what do you do? I understand the Navy career... and Annapolis is one hell of a school...

in terms of west coast

USC? I know how it is to get in, but i haven't done my surfing research yet

Images

The hard part

. . . is getting in. Once you are in, every school is pretty much doable if you have the proper work ethic. Honestly, they're all human beings and any educator worth their salt will do their best to see that you succeed if you want it enough. The next hardest part is paying for it in these economic times without becoming an indentured servant for the rest of your life.

Educate yourself so you can surf for the rest of your life, not the other way around. Is not 2-4 years worth the sacrifice for a lifetime of fun?

Images
    Yeah that's the way I see it. If surfing is your #1 priority then certainly a lot of other things in your life is taking a back seat to it. Something to think about

Grad school/Navy

So...I'm moving into my last year as an undergraduate and I will (if all goes well) be graduating with a degree in meteorology and a degree in physical oceanography. Now it has become time to look into either graduate school or the navy. I am currently at an internship at the University of Delaware and so far really like what I have seen. I also plan on looking at U of Florida, University of Maimi, FIT, Rutgers, and U of Rhode Island. Any suggestions?

My only implication about graduate school is I am unsure if a GPA of 3.1 and major GPA's of 3.6 and 3.3 will get me in. Granted I have a fair amount of research experience but I'm not sure how much weight that really pulls.

Also from what I understand the navy provides some good opportunities in this field and I'm in condition to meet their standards but I'm not sure if it would open similar doors as going to graduate school. Also, I know if you qualify the navy will send you to the post naval graduate school but I really don't know to many details.

Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    "Climbing up on Solsbury Hill..."

Sorry, I know it's not the same but it just made me think of it.

Gotta love Peter Gabriel.
    good song, I have a great live version of Francis Dunnery playing that solo acoustic...

Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post
    So...I'm moving into my last year as an undergraduate and I will (if all goes well) be graduating with a degree in meteorology and a degree in physical oceanography. Now it has become time to look into either graduate school or the navy. I am currently at an internship at the University of Delaware and so far really like what I have seen. I also plan on looking at U of Florida, University of Maimi, FIT, Rutgers, and U of Rhode Island. Any suggestions?

My only implication about graduate school is I am unsure if a GPA of 3.1 and major GPA's of 3.6 and 3.3 will get me in. Granted I have a fair amount of research experience but I'm not sure how much weight that really pulls.

Also from what I understand the navy provides some good opportunities in this field and I'm in condition to meet their standards but I'm not sure if it would open similar doors as going to graduate school. Also, I know if you qualify the navy will send you to the post naval graduate school but I really don't know to many details.

Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas?
    I would explore the opportunities to work as a Navy civilian or in one of the Federal departments such as NOAA, get a couple of years experience and then decide whether graduate school makes sense (probably). At that point your employer will probably help you get your masters degree instead of you having to take out a huge loan. Unless you can find a teaching assistantship. Not all the Navy meterological locations are plum, e.g., Mississippi. But Monterey would be a great posting as a civilian and some of their other locations wouldn't be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wesman944 View Post
    im thinkin about goin to Salisbury after i graduate this year, would like to take a class that has to do with the ocean, like marine biology or somthin, anybody know of a carrer that has to do with the ocean?
    Coastal geomorphology with an engineering degree/certification is something you might want to look into.