LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Eleuthera Bahamas...

Hey i have done some research on eleuthera and a few friends and i thought it be a fun trip to do in march..I was wondering if anyone on here has been there before..if they have i had some questions on where to fly into and if a taxi would take us to where were staying or if we really need to rent a car..also if they were there in the spring how the stay was..thanks alot.

i went there a realllllllllllly long time ago, i was 7 or 8, so i dont know specifics about our travel itinerary ext.... but i remember that we flew into Nassau, then took a little island hopper plane over to Eluthera, where the airport was literally just a dirt road clearing in the forest, with a guy on a moped chasing animals off the "runway".

From there we took a taxi to our house.... and rented two little mopeds. Its a beautiful island, i remember on a fishing trip we saw some massive cloudbreak-type wave setups on some outside reefs, i wasn't an avid enough surfer to fully appreciate it then, and it was probably way smaller than my memory serves to remember.

yea ive been there in january februry and march several times. March is a great month when the swell still pumps but with less chance of chilly onshores. U could just stay in Gregorytown and walk through the woods to the nearby spots everyday but id still spend the re**** $ to rent a beat to hell jeep and be able to explore the out of town breaks. typical week there swellwise seems like always at least waist high with some chest-head high days.

get ready to shell out some bones - nothings cheap in Lutra. if you cant fly with your boards a small store in Gregory town laways hasd a bunch of crappy left behind boards to rent.

Images
    Are you sure you are not thinking of the Tamarindo airport scene in the movie Endless Summer II?

been there, you fly into either nassau or go direct from ft.lauderdale to north eleuthera. there is also an airport called governor's harbor on the island. the swell is ok, but inconsistent and I found it to be mushy/crumble type waves, not hollow tubes. it depends on north atlantic swells. compared to PR, or costa rica it is not as consistent. and like the other replies said, it is expensive to get there (about $900 total in flights), there are no surf shops either so bring everything includig your wax

I'd go to Cr or PR. I went there 3 times and got totally skunked one (7 days of flatness), at best waist high the next, and one solid day (little over head high) the third time. but that only lasted for a day before it dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I'd go to Cr or PR. I went there 3 times and got totally skunked one (7 days of flatness), at best waist high the next, and one solid day (little over head high) the third time. but that only lasted for a day before it dropped.
    Dude, if u got skunked in costa, why are you going to the Bahama's??? Bahama's = very high skunk factor!!! Do yourself a favor, and look into Boca Brava, Panama. Its near David,Chiriqui. About 30 world class waves crammed into this area!!! Find out before the rest of the world does!!!!!!!

I got skunked in Eluthera not CR.

Yeah the chances of a skunked in Eleuthera are pretty high. But in March you've got a pretty good/decent chance of scoring surfable swell. From what I understand the season is Dec-Mar, but even then there can be weeks of flatness. However, if you do get lucky, it's friggin paradise. Waves are not nearly as well formed as in CR or PR, but the atmosphere makes up for what it lacks in barrels.

People are chill, island is cool, and tons of stuff to do with skunk time (fishing, eat conch fritters, spear fishing, boozing, and hanging with the smokin locals). I think Lenny Kravitz has a place here and plays with some local dudes in little bars every so often. Surfers beach is main spot but there are a lot of options with a little jeep. I'd go for it, why not!?

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    Dude, if u got skunked in costa, why are you going to the Bahama's??? Bahama's = very high skunk factor!!! Do yourself a favor, and look into Boca Brava, Panama. Its near David,Chiriqui. About 30 world class waves crammed into this area!!! Find out before the rest of the world does!!!!!!!