LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Right now....Burrrrrrrrrrr

Images
    great lakes surfers have everyone beat for cold water surfing.

NSsurfer, I understand the contentment of surfing these great waves all to your self, but I have to say that surfing without a wet suit offers a great amount of freedom in itself - not to have your movement restricted by all that rubber. Can I use the sex analogy here?

I love surfing a bombing winter day when it seems as if the beach is all yours, but there's nothing better in my opinion than being in the trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by NSsurfer View Post
    I think the whole point of cold water surfing is to travel to unexplored, unridden waves. Personally, I'd much rather surf in 30 degree water with a couple close friends of mine, then surf in 70 degree water with 40 guys.
    you live in NS...youre bred for brain freeze water..I personally hate wearing all the gear thats associated with winter season surfing, i mean i can deal with a wetty but everything else just seems so constricting

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    How big can it get there and are there sites that forcast it?

Images
    Based from NOAA... about 3 winters ago, I went out and it said water temp 33F and Air temp was 15F... while snowing...

That **** was just mental...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidOlya View Post
    Found them. aguaholic posted them awhile ago. I thought it was the bering sea but I didn't see that info this time (maybe I'm wrong). Regardless, go to the surf photo gallery, click on the search button, and type in 'frozen'. 5 pictures should show up. That **** looks cold!!!
    in some of the comments it's said to be the bering sea. wouldnt mind that little shack in the last 1 tho

when you're stuck living where i do,you've got no choice but to surf,make the most of it,and accept it.
    you stand there looking,getting cold,thinking of the million reasons not to go out,but if it was summer you'd be out there every time.
    easy to discourage yourself this time of year.

this past sunday was cold,borderline too small.
    my friend stood on the beach checking it,froze and left.
    then it got better and better,but he was already driving back home.
    but i timed the tide right and had a great time,breaking perfect.
    over an hour of nonstop waves to myself,with the smallness perfect for an easy,no paddle,no consequence surf.

i've surfed where i've seen the water called as low as 30 degrees around here,with below zero wind chill,and still enjoyed myself.
    sometimes it's no fun,but you get over it.
    if you think about what you're doing and plan it right,it can be ok.

for me,around 30 is rare and insane but doable,under 40 is ok but really cold,45 is fine like now but still very cold,45-50 is cold,50-58 is fine,59-61 is pretty warm,62-65 is warm,65+ is really warm,70+ is perfect.

i hate wetsuits,but with career/wife's career i'm stuck in this frozen crap,so thank God the suits,boots and gloves keep getting better !

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    about 42 degree water and wind chill of 20 (winds gusting like 30), and snowing. worst run to the car ever hah. i'm a wimp when it comes to cold water tho

Images

Re: Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post

NSsurfer, I understand the contentment of surfing these great waves all to your self, but I have to say that surfing without a wet suit offers a great amount of freedom in itself - not to have your movement restricted by all that rubber. Can I use the sex analogy here?

I love surfing a bombing winter day when it seems as if the beach is all yours, but there's nothing better in my opinion than being in the trunks.
    Agreed......