LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean City
    Posts
    393
    Images
    4

    UPDATE: Airline charges for surfboards.

    Just thought I share our recent experiences traveling with surfboards to Puerto Rico on Continential. Three of us went down each with 4 surfboards in our coffins, we all checked in at different times at Newark airport. 1st guy was charged $400, I was charged $65, and 3rd guy charged nothing because they weren't sure if there was room, there was. Just goes to show you that "luck" has everything to do with how you will be charged traveling with boards. My advice, travel with as few boards as possible, plan for the worst , and hope for the best

  2. #2
    On my latest trip to california during christmas i couldnt take any boards because they said $100 per board. I had to rent boards wherever I could- it sucked. most shops don't open until 9 and very few allow you to take it to your hotel over night so that meant no dawn patrols! I think JetBlue only charges like 15-20 a board. I flew my boards on JetBlue last year and it was pretty cheap.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    PG
    Posts
    262
    Images
    14
    im taking jet blue to PR in march and its looking like 50 a board

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    1,001
    Images
    952

    Just curious. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieInOC View Post
    Just thought I share our recent experiences traveling with surfboards to Puerto Rico on Continential. Three of us went down each with 4 surfboards in our coffins, we all checked in at different times at Newark airport. 1st guy was charged $400, I was charged $65, and 3rd guy charged nothing because they weren't sure if there was room, there was. Just goes to show you that "luck" has everything to do with how you will be charged traveling with boards. My advice, travel with as few boards as possible, plan for the worst , and hope for the best
    Did the two of you who paid $65 and $0 respectively help soften the $400 hit on the 1st guy, or did he just swallow the expense? And did you write a detailed letter of complaint about the disparity in the charges? I'd love to hear their response if you ever got one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    North Pines
    Posts
    198
    Images
    9
    What part of PR did you stay in, my friends and I are trying to plan a trip in march. Were looking at staying in Rincon area.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    686
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieInOC View Post
    Just thought I share our recent experiences traveling with surfboards to Puerto Rico on Continential. Three of us went down each with 4 surfboards in our coffins, we all checked in at different times at Newark airport. 1st guy was charged $400, I was charged $65, and 3rd guy charged nothing because they weren't sure if there was room, there was. Just goes to show you that "luck" has everything to do with how you will be charged traveling with boards. My advice, travel with as few boards as possible, plan for the worst , and hope for the best
    yeah its all about luck

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sea Bright
    Posts
    48
    Images
    2

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieInOC View Post
    Just thought I share our recent experiences traveling with surfboards to Puerto Rico on Continential. Three of us went down each with 4 surfboards in our coffins, we all checked in at different times at Newark airport. 1st guy was charged $400, I was charged $65, and 3rd guy charged nothing because they weren't sure if there was room, there was. Just goes to show you that "luck" has everything to do with how you will be charged traveling with boards. My advice, travel with as few boards as possible, plan for the worst , and hope for the best

    That's interesting and efffed up. I'm leaving for PR in two weeks via Continental. I was expecting to pay $100 for each board bag, each way. I have two boards in one bag, so i'm figuring 200 beans total round trip. So what you're saying..Is that your boy got charged per board..not per board bag? If so..that's gonna suck big hairy......! Hopefully luck will be on my side. I like how they tell you these things in advance..NOT! I guess they just make up the rules as they go!

  8. #8
    I wrote those bastards over the summer and this is their retarded response...(note the rising fuel costs rhetoric)

    "...Thank you for contacting Continental Airlines.

    I certainly understand your frustration with fees being implemented when, in the past, there were no fees for surfboard baggage. In the face of increased operating costs, particularly rising fuel costs, Continental has implemented new fees and increased existing fees. This has taken place over the past few months, as the market environment has become increasingly complimented and difficult. Our goal is to provide our passengers with safe, reliable travel, while remaining a viable entity.

    Please be assured that I have forwarded your concerns, in detail, to the appropriate members of our senior management team for their review. As we are continually striving to improve the level of service that we provide to our valued customers, your feedback is vitally important to us.

    We appreciate your e-mail and hope to see you on a future Continental Airlines flight.

    Regards,

    Georgia Bargmann
    Customer Care Manager"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Surfer View Post
    That's interesting and efffed up. I'm leaving for PR in two weeks via Continental. I was expecting to pay $100 for each board bag, each way. I have two boards in one bag, so i'm figuring 200 beans total round trip. So what you're saying..Is that your boy got charged per board..not per board bag? If so..that's gonna suck big hairy......! Hopefully luck will be on my side. I like how they tell you these things in advance..NOT! I guess they just make up the rules as they go!
    Continental charges $100 one way per bag with up to 2 surfboards. It goes to $400 per bag for up to 3 boards, and $700 for 4 or more boards. Makes no sense at all since 3 boards in one bag doesn't really take up any more space. Just b**sh*t way to jack up the profit margin. Oil just dropped below $35 a barrel. What's their excuse for charging now?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Just b**sh*t way to jack up the profit margin. Oil just dropped below $35 a barrel. What's their excuse for charging now?
    I think you answered your own question.