close ad [x]

Smell It Guest

Short board pop up

I'm 5' 9" and 180 pounds I have surfed a funshape 8'-0" x 22" x 2 3/4" for a long time and for the last year or so ive been trying to surf on a 6'-6" x 17 1/2" x 2 1/4" shortboard. I have a problem with sinking the board, and losing all my speed by the time i do stand up. Any tips on popping up? Is the board i ride to skinny and thin? Is a wide and thick shortboard / fish a good new board to purchase?

Thanks,

Smell It

take off late or in a bowly section and learn to stand up fast so you don't go over the falls....thats how i learned. after a few beatings in a row you'll start to get it.the more pressure your in the faster your reactions are.

17 1/2 by 2 1/4 is pretty narrow/thin for a board that is 6'6'' .... my guess is its meant for bigger surf, and if your riding it in smaller stuff or mushy surf its gonna sink a lot more than what you are used to.

if u get another performance shortboard get something thats like 18 1/2 x 2 3/8 minimum, especially for around here....

practice, practice, practice. PRactice going straight, practice going left, practice going right. Sometimes taking off is the funnest part so its important to get real good at it.

Yea I agree with the 3rd post

I started out trying on a borrowed board that was 18" wide and 2" thick. Once I got a wider/thicker board it made a world of difference. You'll be able to pop up with more stability and it will be easier to paddle into waves. I'd say at least 19"wide and up

Place this code at the end of your tag: