LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

relocation advice needed - east coast south of va

for a general rounded quality of life; surfing, culture and career. what city would be the best for relocating?

i was thinking wilmington, nc or charleston, sc.

Images
    Here you go boy, this topic was just covered, a fella is wanting to relocate from San Diego and he was looking for some insight, perhaps this may help too:

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4097

Hope that helps

Images
    take a look at this thread if you haven't already:
    OBX vs everywhere else

if you want a mix of city and beach living.. south of VA, you've got Wilmington, NC area and you've got some areas in Florida... If you are not as concerned with the surf quality, then there are some places in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    take a look at this thread if you haven't already:
    OBX vs everywhere else

if you want a mix of city and beach living.. south of VA, you've got Wilmington, NC area and you've got some areas in Florida... If you are not as concerned with the surf quality, then there are some places in between.
    Micah,

This is andrew, we talked at your house awhile back about the my wife and i relocating. and yes i read every work of the above thread. i guess my real question is does charleston, sc have surf in comparison to other areas?

Quote Originally Posted by jettyhead View Post
    Micah,

This is andrew, we talked at your house awhile back about the my wife and i relocating. and yes i read every work of the above thread. i guess my real question is does charleston, sc have surf in comparison to other areas?
    No. It reminds me a lot of Virginia Beach, but with smaller swell windows. Like anywhere it can have its days. Μagicseaweed isn't very good for real day-to-day forecasting, but it does have nice monthly statistical tables for surf conditions, e.g., see
    http://magicseaweed.com/Folly-Beach-Surf-Report/672/
    Last edited by rodndtube; Jan 30, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added link

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jettyhead View Post
    Micah,

hey andrew,

Folly beach gets some surf, but generally not as much as other east coast areas. Having said that, I've never even been to south carolina. Maybe ask some questions in the southeast forum.

Outside of surf, what are your other criterias? There is the wilmington, NC area, but have you taken a look at the emerald isle, atlantic beach area. That might be something to think about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    emerald isle, atlantic beach area. That might be something to think about.
    ooh man, Emerald Isle is beautiful! besides all the Bert's surf (kook) shops its awesome, and awesome blue-green water! Surf City, almost got arrested there

i wouldnt move to the east coast if i were you.

Images
    hey man, im the one who started those other threads. I will just pass along what I have learned from locals up and down the coast.

I have family in hilton head sc. they moved there from ocean beach in san diego. they love hilton head. but, only one of the surfs, and that is a rarity. he can basically stand up on a long board. so although for him and his wife and two babies, hilton head offers great weather and beuatiful coastline. but the least amount of surf on the whole coast.

so that deterred me from south carolina. it has a bowl affect that leaves the waves hittin florida and north carolina.

so, from what I've been told, south of maryland, here is what u got.

obx: very slow economy, cold winters but the best east coast surf around.

florida: some say is better than obx, cause it gets all kinds of windswell etc, and the water is warm all year. 3 mil in the winter in central fl.

vb and wilmington are sililar. large cities. ok surf. wilmington is warmer and has some pluses for a surfer, but as far as the surf, vb and wilmington area have about the same amount of ridable waves each year.

so, if u r all about ur surfing, obx or florida is the spot.

if u got family, responsibilties and u need a good job, vb or wilmington are pretty much it.

charleston is chill too. nice weather, close to the beach, but almost no surf =(

hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    No. It reminds me a lot of Virginia Beach, but with smaller swell windows. Like anywhere it can have its days. Μagicseaweed isn't very good for real day-to-day forecasting, but it does have nice monthly statistical tables for surf conditions, e.g., see
    http://magicseaweed.com/Folly-Beach-Surf-Report/672/

thanks everyone for the info

from magic seaweeds seasonal charts here is the some facts that i found interesting...

averaged % of the time that the period is more that 7s and bigger than 3ft:

delaware 20%

va beach 23%
    kitty hawk(85 miles from vab) 27%

holden beach(40 miles form wilmington, nc) 25.7%
    wrightsville beach had less than de and emerald or atlantic beaches were hours from wilmington

the washout - folly beach, sc 25.6%
    10 miles from charleston

flagler beach, fl 26.5%

san diego 59.5% (94 of that is ground swell!)

if this info from magic seaweed is somewhat correct, i am not so sure charleston has been ruled out for me. i am a longboarder and actually prefer my waves to be around waist to chest. and everyone i have talked to has only great things to say about the city itself