Quote Originally Posted by jettyhead View Post
    \
    averaged % of the time that the period is more that 7s and bigger than 3ft
    kitty hawk(85 miles from vab) 27%
    the washout - folly beach, sc 25.6%
    10 miles from charleston
    <snip>
    if this info from magic seaweed is somewhat correct
    More useless data from Magic Seaweed IMO. Maybe not useless but any measure of surfing consistency that puts Charleston, SC and Kitty Hawk in a virtual tie is nuts in my book. BTW, Charleston is a great city...been there many times, and dig it. Just not the waves.
    Last edited by mitchell; Feb 1, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    wrightsville beach. even though we dont get good swell year round we are warm during the winter and only use a 4/3. but during the summer we get some good hurricane swell. we have good schools if you have kids. and we are know to have benny b. you know pro surfer on the wct or he was but now he's traveling for reef surfing good waves and so what. but reef and sweetwater surf shop (which benny b's parents own) do a surf comp every year during the summer really fun. i've done a few. finally we have jobs in what ever you have a degree in. plus we have good locals that dont get mad alot. but whatch out for the lifegaurds during the summer.

Images
    Magic Seaweed sucks, you shouldn't be allowed to bring that name up on this site. This is SWELLINFO!!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jettyhead View Post
    thanks everyone for the info

from magic seaweeds seasonal charts here is the some facts that i found interesting...

averaged % of the time that the period is more that 7s and bigger than 3ft:

delaware 20%

va beach 23%
    kitty hawk(85 miles from vab) 27%

holden beach(40 miles form wilmington, nc) 25.7%
    wrightsville beach had less than de and emerald or atlantic beaches were hours from wilmington

the washout - folly beach, sc 25.6%
    10 miles from charleston

flagler beach, fl 26.5%

san diego 59.5% (94 of that is ground swell!)

if this info from magic seaweed is somewhat correct, i am not so sure charleston has been ruled out for me. i am a longboarder and actually prefer my waves to be around waist to chest. and everyone i have talked to has only great things to say about the city itself
    those stats are pretty much garbage, because they are not real wave height data, but rather forecasted data (of which is off the coast). Listen to what others are saying about south carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    More useless data from Magic Seaweed IMO. Maybe not useless but any measure of surfing consistency that puts Charleston, SC and Kitty Hawk in a virtual tie is nuts in my book. BTW, Charleston is a great city...been there many times, and dig it. Just not the waves.
    Not sure what data that you looked at but from what I see, OC/Md is twice as consistent in swellage and swell height than Folly Beach, and Hatteras is at least twice as good at OC/Md.

Charleston is probably the nicest coastal city in the NY-SC stretch.

BTW, as I said before, that tool is about the only thing Magic Seaweed has going for it. Maybe some day Swell Info will have that kinda of data - I don't know of anyone else beside MS that does.

I think you need to decide what your looking for from life. I found that the closer you live to a major city (NY, Philly, DC, Boston) the more money you will make, with the northeast paying signifigantly more. Some people can not handle living in urban areas or the cold but, remember everything is temporary. Thats why I choose to live in NJ. I don't live here for the barrels or the weather because there plenty of better spots in the world with warm water. The northeast does offer some options like some of the best street skating in the world, snowboarding, and pretty good school systems (if your planning on or have a family). I may sound like your dad here but to strickly base your relocation on surf and weather is not very smart but, if your true calling is to surf warm waves why are you locking yourself into the eastcoast?