LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Buoy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenwick
    Posts
    303
    Images
    57

    Buoy

    do the buoys always tell the wave height for the time you look at them? And which one do you guys look at to tell about md and de?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DPR View Post
    do the buoys always tell the wave height for the time you look at them? And which one do you guys look at to tell about md and de?
    The buoy data is usually updated hourly... and station 44009 is closest to Delaware/Maryland.... According to NOAA, its located at 38.464N, 74.702W.... which is roughly 19 miles east of Fenwick.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    ya, buoys are pretty key in understanding how the surf is "right now". It is important to understand the significance of wave period.

    There are a couple nearshore buoys off the coast of Fenwick Island and Ocean City, MD. These buoys haven't been updated in some time, and that is why they are not showing on Swellinfo currently. If these buoys become active again, they will re-appear on the Swellinfo buoy data maps. Until then, 44009, is closest Buoy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenwick
    Posts
    303
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    ya, buoys are pretty key in understanding how the surf is "right now". It is important to understand the significance of wave period.

    There are a couple nearshore buoys off the coast of Fenwick Island and Ocean City, MD. These buoys haven't been updated in some time, and that is why they are not showing on Swellinfo currently. If these buoys become active again, they will re-appear on the Swellinfo buoy data maps. Until then, 44009, is closest Buoy.
    Why did you say that its important to know wave period?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DPR View Post
    Why did you say that its important to know wave period?
    http://www.surfline.com/surfology/su..._forecast2.cfm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,480
    Images
    267
    Buoy DE 002 is 1/2 off Bethany

    http://sandbar.wes.army.mil/public_h...ocs/de002.html

    Buoy MD 002 is 1/2 off ocean city
    http://sandbar.wes.army.mil/public_h...ocs/md002.html

    They are working now, and a way better indicator of surf condtions than 44009. But they frequently aren't serving up data.
    Last edited by mitchell; Feb 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM.