LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Windy is Too Windy?

I woke up at 730 with intentions of getting in the water today but checked the weather to find 30-40 mph winds with supposed gusts of 50+ mph. ended up not going out. how windy is too windy? should i have gone out? is there any rule of thumb to go by?

Images

It's too windy

. . . on the East Coast if you walk out of the water after your session and everyone around you is speaking only French. That's with a west wind of course.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    . . . on the East Coast if you walk out of the water after your session and everyone around you is speaking only French. That's with a west wind of course.
    hahaha yeah i guess that'd be too windy.

i'll usely bail at 25+ offshores (maybe 30)...drop gets a little tough

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    lololol........

Images
    I'm not sure of the answer to this question; however, this morning was pretty close!! Snagged a couple, but it was pretty rediculous.......

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bags of jay View Post
    I woke up at 730 with intentions of getting in the water today but checked the weather to find 30-40 mph winds with supposed gusts of 50+ mph. ended up not going out. how windy is too windy? should i have gone out? is there any rule of thumb to go by?
    today looked like it was too ridiculous. plus the after surf run to the car SUCKS when its that windy

Today was close to the limit for wind and surfing effectively. Lots of drift and weird currents. Not to mention practically getting knock over and having the board ripped out of your hands walking back up to the paddle out spot. Today was nuts. Good waves were found though.

to day was just sick for me.. afer i got off school and got shacked till dark

I was at Cape May one time as the winds built up to gale force. If you look up Beaufort scale, 31-38 mph is a gale, 39-46 mph is a fresh gale, 47-54 mph is a strong gale. A couple guys couldn't catch the waves, and they got blown out into the bay, somehow they made it in, but not before someone called the police, causing three fire trucks, a few lifeguard vehicles/medics to come. They were in trouble. Nobody that was out caught a single wave from the peak, the only waves anyone caught was from catching the whitewash.

house is outside rehoboth, DE (millsboro). unfortunately i can only make it there in august
    Images
    i went to high school outside of chicago....talk about windy...all day every day