LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Lifestyle?

Images

Lifestyle?

What do the people that can surf anytime its good do for their job?

what

Most likely a work at home kind of job..... like running a website. Lucky bastards.

Images
    one word. hospitality.

I moved from oc md to san diego 7 years ago to surf everyday.

when I got here, I used my computer science degree and got a job running the computer network for merril lynch. I worked 7 to 3 everyday.

the surf breaks here every day all year, but it is all about the right tide etc. wind in cali is dead until about noon, so I would get home to the beach for an evening glass off.

this began pissing me off when during the first winter I was missing the good morning sessions...

6 months later I quit my job and got a job serving tables. I workd mostly nights, makin 200 bucks in 4 hours.

surfed all day everyday for years.

now, I am the manager of that very same restaurant. so for me;it all worked out. I love my job. I love restaurants and now I manage a multi million dollar place out here.

so surfing everday actually steered me towards happiness.

I would manage a restaurant and surf when its good anyday of pushing paperwork in a cubicle.

it was a life changing experience that made my whole world different.

when I would make outstanding money at work, I would give up all my ****fs for the week and go to baja with my girlfriend. camp all over the coast. surf perfect empty surf. sit under palm trees playing guitar and drinking tecate. t was the time of my life.

so yeah, work in a hotel or restaurant and u will stay in the water everyday its good.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DPR View Post
    What do the people that can surf anytime its good do for their job?
    Good question...was always wondering this...

Images
    being your own boss, is a good way to have authority over your own time.

Images
    Fluffer......

Images
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there may be a few more unemployed surfers around these days as well.

Images
    sales. schedule your appointments around the waves. Or only for 10am and 2pm. gives you plenty of time to surf.

after I was in with my employer for a year or two my time loosened up alot. summertime I work the midshift (10-6) which allows for plenty of time before, and enough for a quick after work session. shoulder seasons and winter all I have to do is let him know a day in advance if there's swell, and I'll come in late or leave early. his sons are bodyboarders so that helps the situation alot being that I ride with them alot in the summer. I wouldn't ask a new employer, but if you've been with someone awhile mention it and they might be cool.

of course there are sometimes if we're shorthanded or I have to close that this doesn't work out - yesturday was one of those days... tho I did manage to get a few after I closed up. been working construction on the side lately and there's no getting out of that.