LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Correcting the shoreline in Delaware

If you surf in Rehoboth / North Shores than you know how badly our breaks were decimated by the 2005 Beach Renourishment Project. Essentially a trench was created at the shoreline that was filled with rocks and shells. As the article states it is a health hazzard to anyone wading by the shore. Another result was that many breaks that had been surfable for years have completely shut down. It appears as though an attempt is being made to remove the rocks. I am hopeful that this will allow the trench to re-fill itself with sand and create a flatter bottom,ultimately returning our breaks to normal. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions. Check out the article: http://www.capegazette.com/storiescu...oreline20.html

your right!

Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about. For a while, I was having fun catching nice little waves along all of the jetties up around the North Shores and Towers area. It was only me and maybe one other guy out catching wave after wave. They were not the biggest, but they were fun.

Now gone, only the memories I have of these "secret" breaks.

Hopefully the engineers will stop messing with this stuff.

Rehoboth still breaks unbelievably good for the right swell, albeit steep/hollow/sucking.

If you really want to say that Rehoboth breaks "unbelievably good" compared to its pre-beach replenishment form than its probably not worth discussing. Just curious to see that if anyone thought that fixing the shoreline trench problem was a step towards bringing the breaks back.

Images
    removing the layer of gravel will have NO effect on the surf break. IMO, the surf breaks around rehoboth were messed up by two factors

1) the 2005 beachfill project placed coarser grained sand than the 1998 beachfill project project which was finer grained sand and actually improved the surf breaks.

2) the 2005 project was so wide it almost entirely covers the rock jetties and outfall pipes which formed nice bars off the ends as sand was shunted around. Now the ends of those jetties are like 30 feet off the beach and have almost no effect.

The relatively small amount of gravel to be scooped will not affect the breaks

Quote Originally Posted by El Porto View Post
    If you really want to say that Rehoboth breaks "unbelievably good" compared to its pre-beach replenishment form than its probably not worth discussing. Just curious to see that if anyone thought that fixing the shoreline trench problem was a step towards bringing the breaks back.
    Way to misquote me, I said "rehoboth still breaks unbelievably good". Didn't compare it to anything. The "unbelievably" coming from the standard view that it "never" breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    removing the layer of gravel will have NO effect on the surf break. IMO, the surf breaks around rehoboth were messed up by two factors

1) the 2005 beachfill project placed coarser grained sand than the 1998 beachfill project project which was finer grained sand and actually improved the surf breaks.

2) the 2005 project was so wide it almost entirely covers the rock jetties and outfall pipes which formed nice bars off the ends as sand was shunted around. Now the ends of those jetties are like 30 feet off the beach and have almost no effect.

The relatively small amount of gravel to be scooped will not affect the breaks
    Thanks for the opinion, I tend to think you are right. I do think he gravel deposited at the shorline makes it impossible for the sand to refill the trench and causes waves to bog rather than break. As you say though the amount they will scoop out is unlikely to be large enough to have an impact.

Images
    rehoboth surf got destroyed by the replenishment... That is where i started surfing way back in the day, and there were fun waves. Now, I dont even look there.

Its hard to know what the solution for better surf is without knowing more info... One guess it that the heavier rocks are preventing sand from being deposited into bars offshore. And this is maintaining the quick transition from deep water to shoreline, and crappy breakers.

Images
    They're spending 1.1 million on this project in March. Which in my opinion is stupid due to the fact that Nor'Easters occur a lot during this month. Why not mother nature do it for free. Or hire some poor surfers such as myself and pay me 1.1 million to remove the stones. I got my own equipment wetsuit, shovel, wheelbarrel.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.

why dont they

just remove all of the rocks and then let the storms pu the sand back in instead of having ti spend all of that money.