LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STASI View Post
    They're spending 1.1 million on this project in March. Which in my opinion is stupid due to the fact that Nor'Easters occur a lot during this month. Why not mother nature do it for free. Or hire some poor surfers such as myself and pay me 1.1 million to remove the stones. I got my own equipment wetsuit, shovel, wheelbarrel.
    The $1.1 million is to pump more sand on the beach in Dewey and Bethany, not remove the stones.

Additionally mother nature has not removed the stones in 3 years so its not likely to start any time soon.

Images
    My mistake I read it a week ago in the paper but I see there's a link. How much will it cost?

Images
    its likely when you remove the stones, you are also going to create an environment that will allow for more erosion. But, it seems as if its worth removing the stones... and definitely for allow sand bars to return to rehoboth.

Images
    i think the only thing that will allow real sand bars to return to Dewey and Rehoboth is to pump finer grained sand onto the beach, like OCMD. The only source of medium-fine grained sand that i am aware of near enough to Rehoboth to be useful is Hens and Chicken shoals, which was used in 1998 in Rehoboth, produced decent surf, but the Corps is no longer permitted to dredge sand from there.

Now the only decent breaks are Tower Road and Indian River Inlet which i hate having to go into the park in order to surf

Images
    theyve been working this week pulling gravel

Looks like such a futile effort in that picture. Thought they'd have more equipment.

Check this picture of Sandy Hook NJ late 70's early 80's before it was destroyed by beach replenishment. Google earth it now and overlay the two, it is the best example I have ever seen against the practice of beach replenishment at least from a surfers point of view. I learned to surf at the small jetty 4th from the bottom and spent everyday of surf for over 10 years exploring each of them. Just imagine what is under that sand???? Sorry I know this thread is about Rehoboth.

Last edited by Zippy; Mar 4, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Look at the cove in the old picture and look at it now. They still call it the cove but it is nothing like it was, and you could ride it from that point to to beach on the right day although most kicked out long before the end since it got kinda deep way on the inside. That was the only true reef I had ever surfed, giant muscle covered boulders and boils everywhere it was great! To put the scale into perspective The small jetty 4th from the bottom was about 4 times as long as the OCI jetty.
    Last edited by Zippy; Mar 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM.