LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: ocracoke

ocracoke

i surf buxton and frisco and the difference.
    how does surf on ocracoke compare?

buxton faces east and picks up all kinds of swell.
    frisco faces south and sometimes misses the swell,is sometimes warmer,is sometimes smaller.

ocracoke?
    anybody know ?

Okracoke goes off... its just a pain in the ass to get there, but you can find empty peaks no problemo.

consistent like buxton or less so like frisco or different yet?

different.. It faces generally east. South or southeast swell, west winds, it will be good down there. Its just not really worth the hassle to me, some people swear by okrakoke. Not me, I'd much rather just surf somewhere closer to home.

P.S. If you do go there, bring bug spray or you will get eaten alive.

Images
    Ocracoke in general just rules in my opinion. 1st off, it's an isolated island thats only accesible by ferry/boat. 2nd, there's only one little fishing village there and in the summer that place CAN get crowded. 3rd, if you're looking to get away, that is one fo the best places to get as far away as possible and still be around minimal civilization.

I'm saying that because there's still stores, a bank, and some bar/grilles there too on the docks around Sliver Lake.

Plus, all the Blackbeard the Pirate lore that still haunts the area OooOoOoo. If you're into that kinda thing. It's interesting to me.

Go camp at Teeter's in town cause that guy is super generous and down to earth, and he will give you a nice spot to set up a tent and a hot shower.

Surf-wise...it has it's moments With 13 miles of un-developed beach, you're bound to find your own little peaks/sandbars. I rode the longest wave I've ever had there and I swear it was almost 20 seconds long. That's not saying too much speaking of waves, but in East Coast terms, that could make your day.

Made mine

thanks,swellinfo members.
    i was hoping for more specifics,though.

can anybody out there give me some more details about consistency/quality at ocracoke?

Images

Ocracroke

When it's good, it's very very good, but when it is bad it is horrid. There are lots of easier places to get to, but if you want to be cool and aggro, go for it.