LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: obx in april

ian pytko Guest

obx in april

i am trying to find out if it is worth me and a friend to drive the 9 to 10 hours from philly pa to the obx in the first week of april????? i have surf down around the light house in the fall and it was a great time.. any info would be great. thanks

I live in Middletown, De and can get there in 6 or less hours. It should only 7 or so and it is worth it if you can catch a swell.

344 mi – about 7 hours 20 mins

Hopefully you are heading 13 all the way down.

Images
    hey ian,

it is best to keep an eye on the surf forecast, before you head down. Like anywhere on the east coast, the Outer Banks can have its flat spells. However, it is generally a little more consistent than other areas. And, warmer than New Jersey surf.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian pytko View Post
    i am trying to find out if it is worth me and a friend to drive the 9 to 10 hours from philly pa to the obx in the first week of april????? i have surf down around the light house in the fall and it was a great time.. any info would be great. thanks
    8 hour ride from Manasquan, NJ. I could prolly get there in 6 the way I drive.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    8 hour ride from Manasquan, NJ. I could prolly get there in 6 the way I drive.
    yeah took me around 7.5 from around philly if i remember. it'd check up on motels and others so you can keep the night around $40 or less. my buddy and i went down and got to the obx around 2am, slept in my car (honda civic isnt the spaciest but sufficed), then worked S-Turns around 630am. surfed all day and stayed over at a motel that night and did the same thing.

not a bad drive because its well worth it

About how cold is the water in april in obx?

not too sure about the temp of the water but I was there last april in a 4-3 with boots and gloves. It was closer to the beginning of april I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NitsuJ478 View Post
    About how cold is the water in april in obx?
    warmer then now.

Images
    mid 50s? the water can be warmer and colder depending on currents.

Just south of the Cape, in Frisco and below, the water is always warmer. I trunked it down there one year in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    mid 50s? the water can be warmer and colder depending on currents.

Just south of the Cape, in Frisco and below, the water is always warmer. I trunked it down there one year in March.
    wow thats awesome. im going for a few days in mid april to frisco/cape hatteras, so you think i will need to bring anything bigger than a 3/2 since i know the water temps fluctuate a lot down there? tried to find annual water temps for frisco online but couldn't find them anywhere, so if anyone knows the water temp range for frisco in mid april that would be awesome, and thanks.