LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cali road trip

cali road trip

Anybody ever done the full drive from the East Coast to West? What's it like? I'm trying to plan a trip for this summer

I have done it (and wound up staying in CA for 15 years). I would decide first if you are trying to get to CA as fast as possible or if you want to experince the country. There is some cool stuff out there and its not all on the coast. If you just want the Cali part, fly to San Diego, rent a car and drive to Oregon. Also an unreal trip. My 2 cents.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    my friend and his family did it they said it was horrible when they were driving through the country. but their dad flew over to cali with their surfboards and they went surfing for the oldest son who is 18. and they said the drive was worth it.

Images
    over x-mas my friend and i flew out west and drove up the coast from mission beach in san diego to the tip of santa cruz at salt creek...would've been perfect if we got to see mavs goin off but overall best trip i've ever taken...

I was stationed in Port Hueneme, Cali and then got moved out to VA Beach. My friends and I drove it, and it was an adventure and a half. We took I-10 almost all the way and the total hours with two near arrests and a break down was about 54 hours.Definately a cool way to see the country though and you'll certainly have an interesting story to tell.

Images
    I have done it 6 times from DE to Southern CA & was on I 40 for the most part. 1st time was pretty cool seeing new sights. Was in a hurry the 1st time & no sight seeing, just pretty much straight drive thru with my brother. Other times just a few stops off I 40, Grand Canyon & few other areas. Pretty long, boring in the middle states & lot of it looks the same Oklahoma to Arizona after a while.

Images
    If you have the money i highly suggest taking your time getting out there. I drove out for school and because of time restraints had to make it in 3 days. Two of my friends are midway through a trip out there right now and im pissed that i missed it. They hit badlands natl park, mount rushmore, vegas, and everywhere in between. I wish i could have done it this way in fact i wish i had the money to take 2 weeks to a month just driving out there. Seeing what the country is like by car is amazing, and an experience that i suggest everyone has. Once you get there it's pretty much a dream. My friends are currently in Orange County surfing trestles, but im pretty sure norcal has surf also. Spend about the same amount of time surfing, and exploring as you took to drive and your pretty much set.

I did it right after 9/11. It was probably some of the best 3 weeks of my life. Me and my friends took a southern route and camped out in every national park we came across. Plus we hung out in New Orleans for 3 days, so i got to see the city before Katrina hit. Once we got to Texas I couldn't believe how wide open the country was.

if you come across Old Dean Moriarty, let me know.

thanks for the responses. I know this question doesn't have a single answer but how much money would be smart to have saved up if I were planning to be on the road for a month?