LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Idea

Images

Idea

When you look through the photos there should be an option to see them in there highest resolution or quality.

or how about being able to use the arrow keys to scroll through the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by normandysurf View Post
    or how about being able to use the arrow keys to scroll through the pictures?
    after your in the gallery go up and click on EAST COAST and there will be a page which lays it out in a grid format which lets you surpass the big groups of photos that your probably sifting thru.

I don't get photo dumping either...

as far as the resolution quality, you have to understand what your dealing with. For viewing on a pc, most of these photos are as good as they are going to get. The detail and resolution ultimately comes down to the photographer, gear, proccessing, etc... therefore your question is pertaining more to the photogs compared to swellinfo.

no. bad idea, in my opinion. however, if it were up to the user posting that would be ok I think.
    Give to get, bro. Those Swellinfo Beanies are going for a low 10 bucks now.

Images
    when you click o the thumbnail, you go to the high res photo...

and here i just figured everyone always cuts their own down. I have posted uncut pics before and assumed the sites resize the pics, since some of them were to large and were rejected before they were even reviewed, so I had to resize them anyway. the thumbnail you speak of is the "printable" tab?

Either way, it is good to know that everyone should take care when posting their pictures on your site so as to not give away full res prints unless they really want to.

Images

What I think DPR means

When I put 5mb images on Surfline, you can double click on the standard sized image and it reveals the image in a new window at full size. http://photos.surfline.com/view_imag...all=1&uid=6652 (try it, you'll see what I mean)

It's still dependent upon the individual site's size restrictions, as well as the photographer's image sizing from the outset. Most cameras shoot .jpg files at 72dpi (dots per inch) with varying image sizing (inches or pixels) depending upon the resolution capabilities of the photographer's camera. More advanced cameras allow greater control over image sizing from 72dpi up to 300dpi and even the RAW setting for highest resolution available on a camera. 72dpi is all you need or want online, but for print, 300dpi is much preferred. jpg files while easily compressed, don't always provide optimal resolution. To get the maximum information in an image, you usually have to go with a TIFF or EPS file format, which don't happen to be very internet friendly. GIF's and Bitmap images are the lowest resolution and contain the fewest colors.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Mar 30, 2009 at 03:26 AM.

Images
    What mdsurfer said was what i ment how you can see that real large with great quality still. Instead of having the lower quality when you copy them then mke them bigger.

Images

Dpr

So what you want to do is steal photos without paying the photographer, right? That brings us back to a long lost thread about creative and intellectual property rights. Professional photographers are not typically in the business of giving away their photographs. To prevent such free access, they typically use a watermark, or a clearly visible logo on their prints, or they provide only a thumbnail image which is typically low resolution. It's the smart way to go, because if you can download a high res photo for nothing, the professional photographers can't expect to make a reasonable living at their trade.

I've tried, unsuccessfully I might add, to sell some of my images, but nobody's ever actually bought, so I guess that speaks for the quality, or the lack thereof, of the photos I take. I like surfing, and I really like high resolution images, and I'm never likely to make a living off of either, so I post large files, and sometimes entirely too many of them for viewing I'll admit.

Suffice to say, just because images are posted on the internet doesn't give you the right to rip them off, but I don't think anybody minds if you just like to look at them. How would you feel if someone snagged your own favorite shot and turned it into an advertisement without paying you or even giving you credit for your photographic vision and timing? Kind of sucks doesn't it? Keep that in mind.

Images
    No i could care less about stealing them. What would i do with a picture? But i remember someone saying that they wished everyone could see there pics in the biggest size and then i saw some larger and its cool to see. Plus everyone writes there names on their photos.