LOGIN | REGISTER

Hybrid View

Pick me out a wetsuit!

I'm planning to try these on but I want to know your opinions/knowledge about these couple of wetsuits if you have any.

Here's my deal:
    I want to be warm 1st and foremost. Quality/endurance is 2nd criteria as I want something that can last me a 5-10 years (I only surf about 5-15 sessions a year). Performance/comfort is just but not essential...since I'm still pretty much a novice surfer.

Due to the distance I live from the beach and other non-surfing commitments, I usually only get in between 5-15 sessions a year. The primary season I surf is summertime, but I want to buy 1 suit that I can stay warm from April through November to give me plenty of options/opportunities if they present themselves.

Here are the suits that fit my price range that I'm contemplating buying (basically <$200):
    Option 13/2 JetPilot Capsule
    price $182
    100% flex/ sealed & taped seams / polyfleece lined

Will a 3/2 sealed/taped full suit be warm enough in water temps getting down in the mid 50's? I have my doubts. As a point of reference, my very old O'Neil Reactor suit doesn't work keep me very warn in water temps below 63 degrees. My Reactor only has flatlock seams though (not taped/sealed like the JetPilot) and cold water flushes through all the seams pretty much all the time. Same for the back zipper.

Option 2: 4/3 Hyperflex "Flow"
    price $190
    100% flex/ sealed & taped seams / polyfleece lined / waterproof chest zip

Option 3: 4/3 O'Neil Epic 2- CT
    price $180
    100% stretch / sealed / water resistant zipper

Main question I have regarding these 3 options is if I find any defects or problems with the suit after just a couple of wearings, which companies have the best warranties and can get me a fixed up suit (i.e. best customer service)?

Thanks!

U r a TOOL! Kook....

Images
    get a 4/3 mutant, and i was surfing until late december in monmouth beach in an epic 3/3 with boots gloves and a cap

4/3 will give you the most range, may get a little warm at times in the late spring and fall but you can manage with it in the winter

Images
    There should be an addition to this site stating all of the repeated questions and answers like the wetsuit one and others for the noobs of the site

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DPR View Post
    There should be an addition to this site stating all of the repeated questions and answers like the wetsuit one and others for the noobs of the site
    There is....It's a sticky labeled "search" But it is only on the real forum page..not on the report page. The only way I see that working..... is if it's sticky'd on the report page.

Quote Originally Posted by RobfromFredneck View Post
    I want to buy 1 suit that I can stay warm from April through November to give me plenty of options/opportunities if they present themselves.

I requoted you since those who are telling you to buy a 5/4/3 arent bothering to read your question. Nobody would buy a 5 mil wetsuit as their only wetsuit for April through November in the mid-atlantic. If you must get by with one suit for all of those months, I would get a taped, sealed-seam 3/2 and a neoprene short sleeve or vest (maybe hooded) to wear under it in April and Nov.
    Last edited by scotty; Mar 28, 2009 at 08:58 PM.

After alot of initial hazing, I'm gettings some quality tips and advice. Thanks guys.

I like the idea of buying a hooded vest to wear undere a 4/3 or 3/2. I was thinking more about buying a detachable hood, but the hooded vest might be a decent alternative. if I were to guess this type of setup might better prevent flushing down the neck? Not sure.

Any JetPilot owners? Just wondering, I never happened to see or know anyone wearing their suits.