LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Offshore Drilling Hearing

So.. is there anyone in the Surfrider Foundation, or anyone seriously concerned about the offshore drilling proposals on the forum? I'm a new SRF member and I'd like to go up Atlantic City in a carpool with someone to show some serious commitment. I'm willing to split fuel costs.. PM me if you're interested, in the Delmarva Coastal region, and are willing to drive.

It goes from something like 9am to 8pm on Monday 4/6
    Last edited by ECsponger; Apr 3, 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add-on

well it sure would be nice to be more self dependent in the oil department..................

Drilling isn't going to solve any problems. We need to get off the oil, not drill for more. As surfers we should be looking out for the good of our habitat, and the carbon released from fosil fuels as well as the plastic made from petroleum puts the oceans in great peril. I totally support you Ecsponger. If I could get out of work Monday I would be there. I just joined the SRF as well, if there is anything I can do to help on the homefront down here in Delmarva let me know.

As a side note...I'm teaching a class at Wor-Wic on the Environmental History of the Delmarva Peninsula and also have a lecture coming up on the history of Assateague Island in May. If anyone is interested in taking the class or coming to the lecture they should private message me for more info or contact Wor-Wic's workforce development department.

totally agree with ATMracer.

Next time I'm paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas (this summer most likely) I'll send you the bill surfnut.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfnut1018 View Post
    Drilling isn't going to solve any problems. We need to get off the oil, not drill for more. As surfers we should be looking out for the good of our habitat, and the carbon released from fosil fuels as well as the plastic made from petroleum puts the oceans in great peril. I totally support you Ecsponger. If I could get out of work Monday I would be there. I just joined the SRF as well, if there is anything I can do to help on the homefront down here in Delmarva let me know.

As a side note...I'm teaching a class at Wor-Wic on the Environmental History of the Delmarva Peninsula and also have a lecture coming up on the history of Assateague Island in May. If anyone is interested in taking the class or coming to the lecture they should private message me for more info or contact Wor-Wic's workforce development department.

Your totally right about the oil, we need to be totally free from it. However, that isn't going to happen soon. In the mean time, we need a temporary solution. In reality, we are half a century away from being totally independent from oil. If we drill offshore, our money stops going to middle eastern countries, who really have a monopoly. If we coulld drill offshore now, it would give us a temporary bridge to get us from supporting terroists and things non of us have a clue about (and if you don't think that we are money trail trickles down to people who don't have out best intrest in mind, than your head is in the dirt).

I am very interested in your lecture, and your whole class really. I will be emailing you about it.

I understand the need to supplement our energy needs now while more sustainable forms of energy are being developed. The thing is, oil companies currently hold leases on 68 million acres of land within the US which contain oil and have not been touched. The big effort of oil companies is to first aquire as much oil producing land as possible, and then drill. What we should do is encourage oil companies to tap the land they already hold first, and if by the time these areas are tapped and a sustainable energy source isn't found, then look to the ocean. There is no need to further pollute our oceans when oil companies are sitting upon reserves now, waiting for oil prices to rise in the market. They are seriously manipulating the American people.

unlike 'big environment' that would never use scare tactics on the populace right?

The issue is not about tactics, it is about facts and they clearly show the climate is changing and our oceans and environment are suffering. That is undisputible and if you deny it then you are "putting your head in the dirt" It was a tradition within the culture of the Iriquois indians that decisions be made with seven future generations in mind, I think it's time Americans began to think this way and get beyond our rather self centered perspectives. Our decisions have a clear and defined impact upon the future inhabitants of this earth and it is only fair and just that we begin to consider the consequenses of those actions and the implications they hold.

sure the climate is changing but the CAUSE is up for debate. I remember when I was a kid how scientists where CONVINCED that we were heading for another ice age due to our polluting ways but that didn't quite pan out did it? Pie in the sky platitudes like 'we need to get off oil', mean nothing if there is nothing to go TO. What replaces oil? Ethanol (too much CO2) electricity? will you support all the nuke plants that would be need to provide that much power to run all those cars cause that's the ONLY source currently available that can do it. plan sure but don't plan on THEORIES. There are plenty of real like reasons to transition from oil to ?????? but it takes time and needs to employ common sense.

Than funny thing is that as surfers, we are huge polluters. Every see what goes into a surfboard or wetsuit? how bout all those surf trips via jets?

We are all huge pollutors, unfortunately it is the way of life we inherited and grew up in. It will take time, hard work, and a lot of will power to create a more sustainable culture, but I think we can all agree it is something we need to work towards. This is our WWII and our chance to leave a lasting positive impact as a society and culture.

By the way, 97% of all scientists agree that carbon emisions are the cause of climate change and it is also publicly acknowledged that nearly all of the research sugesting other causes of climate change is funded by oil companies. That seems rather sketchy to me, but I'll allow you to draw your own conclusions.