LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Offshore Drilling Hearing

So.. is there anyone in the Surfrider Foundation, or anyone seriously concerned about the offshore drilling proposals on the forum? I'm a new SRF member and I'd like to go up Atlantic City in a carpool with someone to show some serious commitment. I'm willing to split fuel costs.. PM me if you're interested, in the Delmarva Coastal region, and are willing to drive.

It goes from something like 9am to 8pm on Monday 4/6
    Last edited by ECsponger; Apr 3, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add-on

well it sure would be nice to be more self dependent in the oil department..................

Drilling isn't going to solve any problems. We need to get off the oil, not drill for more. As surfers we should be looking out for the good of our habitat, and the carbon released from fosil fuels as well as the plastic made from petroleum puts the oceans in great peril. I totally support you Ecsponger. If I could get out of work Monday I would be there. I just joined the SRF as well, if there is anything I can do to help on the homefront down here in Delmarva let me know.

As a side note...I'm teaching a class at Wor-Wic on the Environmental History of the Delmarva Peninsula and also have a lecture coming up on the history of Assateague Island in May. If anyone is interested in taking the class or coming to the lecture they should private message me for more info or contact Wor-Wic's workforce development department.

totally agree with ATMracer.

Next time I'm paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas (this summer most likely) I'll send you the bill surfnut.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfnut1018 View Post
    Drilling isn't going to solve any problems. We need to get off the oil, not drill for more. As surfers we should be looking out for the good of our habitat, and the carbon released from fosil fuels as well as the plastic made from petroleum puts the oceans in great peril. I totally support you Ecsponger. If I could get out of work Monday I would be there. I just joined the SRF as well, if there is anything I can do to help on the homefront down here in Delmarva let me know.

As a side note...I'm teaching a class at Wor-Wic on the Environmental History of the Delmarva Peninsula and also have a lecture coming up on the history of Assateague Island in May. If anyone is interested in taking the class or coming to the lecture they should private message me for more info or contact Wor-Wic's workforce development department.

Your totally right about the oil, we need to be totally free from it. However, that isn't going to happen soon. In the mean time, we need a temporary solution. In reality, we are half a century away from being totally independent from oil. If we drill offshore, our money stops going to middle eastern countries, who really have a monopoly. If we coulld drill offshore now, it would give us a temporary bridge to get us from supporting terroists and things non of us have a clue about (and if you don't think that we are money trail trickles down to people who don't have out best intrest in mind, than your head is in the dirt).

I am very interested in your lecture, and your whole class really. I will be emailing you about it.

I understand the need to supplement our energy needs now while more sustainable forms of energy are being developed. The thing is, oil companies currently hold leases on 68 million acres of land within the US which contain oil and have not been touched. The big effort of oil companies is to first aquire as much oil producing land as possible, and then drill. What we should do is encourage oil companies to tap the land they already hold first, and if by the time these areas are tapped and a sustainable energy source isn't found, then look to the ocean. There is no need to further pollute our oceans when oil companies are sitting upon reserves now, waiting for oil prices to rise in the market. They are seriously manipulating the American people.

unlike 'big environment' that would never use scare tactics on the populace right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfnut1018 View Post
    I understand the need to supplement our energy needs now while more sustainable forms of energy are being developed. The thing is, oil companies currently hold leases on 68 million acres of land within the US which contain oil and have not been touched. The big effort of oil companies is to first aquire as much oil producing land as possible, and then drill. What we should do is encourage oil companies to tap the land they already hold first, and if by the time these areas are tapped and a sustainable energy source isn't found, then look to the ocean. There is no need to further pollute our oceans when oil companies are sitting upon reserves now, waiting for oil prices to rise in the market. They are seriously manipulating the American people.
    Can you prove what you said about the 68 million acres possibly containing oil? Are you talking about in Alaska? What I mean is, where did you read that? Not saying your wrong, I just haven't heard that, which is probably for a reason. It's amazing the things that don't get out.

Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post
    So.. is there anyone in the Surfrider Foundation, or anyone seriously concerned about the offshore drilling proposals on the forum? I'm a new SRF member and I'd like to go up Atlantic City in a carpool with someone to show some serious commitment. I'm willing to split fuel costs.. PM me if you're interested, in the Delmarva Coastal region, and are willing to drive.

It goes from something like 9am to 8pm on Monday 4/6
    On-line petition:
    http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/not_the_answer_03_09
    More info:
    http://oilonthebeach.blogspot.com/

Your voice is urgently needed right now to prevent the sacrifice of your favorite coastline to dangerous offshore oil drilling impacts. 4 upcoming public hearings will determine what actions the Obama Administration will be taking this fall with regard to allowing, for the first time, new offshore oil and gas drilling in our most sensitive coastal waters, and for approval of renewable energy industry proposals off of our coast.

US Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar, is holding 4 public meetings to talk about the federal government's plans for new offshore drilling.

DATES:
    Monday, April 6, 2009
    Atlantic City Convention Center
    One Convention Boulevard
    Atlantic City, New Jersey

Wednesday, April 8, 2009
    Tulane University
    McAlister Auditorium Building
    43 McAlister Drive
    New Orleans, Louisiana

Tuesday, April 14, 2009
    Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center
    600 West Seventh Avenue
    Anchorage, Alaska

Thursday, April 16, 2009
    University of California, San Francisco
    Mission Bay Conference Center,
    Robertson Auditorium
    1675 Owens Street
    San Francisco, California

TIME: At each location, doors will open at 8:00 a.m. and meetings will begin at 9:00 a.m. Meetings will conclude by 8:00 p.m., with breaks tentatively scheduled from 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Please refer to http://www.mms.gov/5-year for final schedule information for each meeting.

MEETING OVERVIEW: After opening remarks, the Secretary and Interior agency staff will present a brief overview of the Department's findings regarding Outer Continental Shelf (OSC) energy resources.

The rest of the meeting will be devoted to hearing from public and private interests on best approaches to developing a comprehensive offshore energy plan that includes the development of traditional and renewable sources of energy on the OCS.

PLEASE RSVP: If you can attend the public meetings, then please formally RSVP to let the US Department of the Interior know that they should hold a spot for you, at the meeting. Space is limited. Simply email DOI_Events@ios.doi.gov to RSVP.

MORE INFO: Visit www.nottheanswer.org

UNABLE TO ATTEND? If you are unable to attend the hearing, written comments will be accepted through September 21. Please submit your comments electronically at: http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/not_the_answer_03_09, or by mail to:

Ms. Renee Orr,
    Chief, Leasing Division at Minerals Management Service
    MS 4010
    318 Elden St.
    Herndon, VA 20170-4817.

Thank you,
    The Surfrider Foundation

I have a bunch of guys who want to go to support the drilling so we'll be up there.