LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Webber vs. Dan Taylor

Hoping to get some feedback..looking to get a fish for the summer and currently riding Dan Taylor DMT during winter.

So I'm looking at Webber Fatburner and Dan Taylor Roach boards. Both look pretty good in terms of design, little pricy though and wondering if anyone has one in their quiver and can share some thoughts?

I'm 5'8 155-160bs.

Thanks

Guess no one has a roach or fatburner.....im leaning towards the d. taylor roach model.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dredg2 View Post
    Hoping to get some feedback..looking to get a fish for the summer and currently riding Dan Taylor DMT during winter.

So I'm looking at Webber Fatburner and Dan Taylor Roach boards. Both look pretty good in terms of design, little pricy though and wondering if anyone has one in their quiver and can share some thoughts?

I'm 5'8 155-160bs.

Thanks
    i repaired a Webber Fatburner last year that was made in Thailand. IDK if all Webbers are made in that factory over there or what but it had a really weak glass job...feather light no doubt and a nice shape but i wasnt impressed with the construction.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks, not sure what to get.

It depends on what your looking for really

The webbers are mass produced in thailand at the GSI cobra factory, so therefore they are cheaper, and the newer ones are made of SLX epoxy that looks pretty legit. the downside being they only come in stock dims and i dont think perform super well.

The DT is going to be a legit board, probably a bit closer to your dims, and surf like a regular board would. the downsides are that it probably costs more, and is not as strong.

bottom line if your looking for a board to mess around with and you arent that serious, go with the webber. if you looking to shred the gnar go with the DT

I would probably dish out the other $100 to get a better performing board.

Images
    Nothing against DT...but I feel like I've seen way to many of those break. I had a brand new 5'10 and snapped it in ****ty NJ waves... I absolutely loved that board and if I still rode stand up, I'd probably get another...but I just seen way too many people have theirs snap.

I would buy the DT. Support surfer labor... buy surfboards handcrafted by surfers. Buying crap boards made in Asia helps no one. Doesn't help you enjoy surfing, doesn't help our economy, doesn't help surfers further the thoughtful design of surfboards. I bet you can find a local east coast shaper who could shape a board that will do exactly what want for a reasonable price and you'll get a custom board built specifically for you. But if you're itching to buy one off the rack at least support the guy who is keeping the labor in the US done by surfers. Half the reason or economy is in the sh!tter is because everyone wants to buy cheap crap made oversees instead of paying a few extra dollars for a better product made here and keeping jobs in the country. Ok rant over. But if anything, DT has been shaping boards for east coast guys for years so he knows our waves. That's reason enough to go with him. Order a custom and get it glassed stronger if you're concerned about durability.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    I would buy the DT. Support surfer labor... buy surfboards handcrafted by surfers. Buying crap boards made in Asia helps no one. Doesn't help you enjoy surfing, doesn't help our economy, doesn't help surfers further the thoughtful design of surfboards. I bet you can find a local east coast shaper who could shape a board that will do exactly what want for a reasonable price and you'll get a custom board built specifically for you. But if you're itching to buy one off the rack at least support the guy who is keeping the labor in the US done by surfers. Half the reason or economy is in the sh!tter is because everyone wants to buy cheap crap made oversees instead of paying a few extra dollars for a better product made here and keeping jobs in the country. Ok rant over. But if anything, DT has been shaping boards for east coast guys for years so he knows our waves. That's reason enough to go with him. Order a custom and get it glassed stronger if you're concerned about durability.
    I half agree with what you have to say.. but my concern with what you have to say is.. .why would you want to buy something "American" if it is of less quality or not as good as something from an outsource? Not saying every shaper or company in America sucks or is horrible but with his given choices... if the Webber is better than the DT, then get the Webber. Guys at my old job gave me **** for buying a Subaru instead of an American car..well guess what? I'm sorry I view American cars as pieces of **** and would be a waste of MY money to get one... My advice to the OP... get the one that suits your needs.

China Boards

Unfortunatly rgnsup you are wrong. Comparing surfboards to cars is completely different. The surfboards that are mass manufactured over seas are usually of much poor quality and do not hold to the wear and tear of surfers. Also it is almost impossible to find a board that is mass produced that works better then a traditional board made in America or Australia. There is a reason why they are often hundreds of dollars less then other boards. Surf boards are made, or created. Foam is the template and what comes out of is the artwork, and that is what you are paying for when selecting an american created board. Your subaru is made for quality, thus quality is what you receive.

Ps. Your Subaru was probably "put together" here in america. Along with Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundia's ect.