LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ocean City
    Posts
    201
    Images
    20
    Wasnt there an old joke about this

    There is a bear outside of a house, and the house experiences southern exposure from all sides, what color is the bear?

    White because your at the north pole, and it's a polar bear.

    Anyone else heard this one?

  2. #12
    Without answering the question, where ever you stand there are the primary 4 directions.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidOlya View Post
    All winds are south winds at the north pole. You can't even really distinguish east and west from that point.
    YES, I agree. This only comes to play if you are standing at the 100% precise point of the north pole... Any other time, there will be an east,west,south,north.

    You cant define any direction if there is no North.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    YES, I agree. This only comes to play if you are standing at the 100% precise point of the north pole... Any other time, there will be an east,west,south,north.

    You cant define any direction if there is no North.
    i agree that if you are standing at the precise point of north, than there are only south winds.This is because north itself has been given the definition of the very point you are standing on.

    When you are standing at this point, however, you are still faced with four main directions. These points of direction, ahead of you, behind you, to your left, to your right, now require a new definition, because the old one is no longer of any use to us. Therefore you simply assign these directions new meanings for purposes of utility.

    Thus, you CAN define direction without north as a reference point, you simply have to pick a new reference point, such as longitude zero. So.... while there are no north winds in the strong sense of the word, it is still necessary to use the points of the compass with a new definition, thus gaining a "north" wind, in the weak sense.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    i agree that if you are standing at the precise point of north, than there are only south winds.This is because north itself has been given the definition of the very point you are standing on.

    When you are standing at this point, however, you are still faced with four main directions. These points of direction, ahead of you, behind you, to your left, to your right, now require a new definition, because the old one is no longer of any use to us. Therefore you simply assign these directions new meanings for purposes of utility.

    Thus, you CAN define direction without north as a reference point, you simply have to pick a new reference point, such as longitude zero. So.... while there are no north winds in the strong sense of the word, it is still necessary to use the points of the compass with a new definition, thus gaining a "north" wind, in the weak sense.
    I agree...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    686
    Images
    5
    ah, but what would the wind thingy read if you were to put one on the north pole

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    305
    Images
    109
    so, hypothetically, if you are standing at magnetic north (which apparently changes) what does the compass read? does it just spin in circles or maybe explode in your hand ?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by beaner View Post
    so, hypothetically, if you are standing at magnetic north (which apparently changes) what does the compass read? does it just spin in circles or maybe explode in your hand ?
    Wouldn't it be impossible to stand exactly at magnetic north. It would be like trying to count to infinity. You can always get closer.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Wouldn't it be impossible to stand exactly at magnetic north. It would be like trying to count to infinity. You can always get closer.
    Why do you say that? Doesn't there have to be a specific point that attracts the compass? You just keep following the compass and then it switches directions.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Zansurf View Post
    Wasnt there an old joke about this

    There is a bear outside of a house, and the house experiences southern exposure from all sides, what color is the bear?

    White because your at the north pole, and it's a polar bear.

    Anyone else heard this one?
    i have that was on one of those iq tests i once toom on facebook.