LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    i have that was on one of those iq tests i once toom on facebook.
    And by the way this sentence flows... I take it your IQ was probably a 3?


    J/K!!!!! But seriously...what did you say?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Data View Post
    Why do you say that? Doesn't there have to be a specific point that attracts the compass? You just keep following the compass and then it switches directions.
    ya, exactly, a single point, infinitesimally small in width, so you will always be some distance away from the point - whether its 1 millimeter or .0001 millimeters. get it.

  3. #23
    What I understand is that there can be a prediction on the magnetic changes, but nothing that can precisely hit the number... even while that number is a very small fraction of what we consider numbers, it wavers in small degrees.

    My opinion, this is a 21 grams type of thing... movement of soul... completely unpredictable and inconsistent, so my answer is no, and no need for a new description for directions because the four would still exist. Even if you found the absolute north reading it would change so fast (even if at a tiny increment) that it would throw the most precise technology off that point.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by rgnsup View Post
    And by the way this sentence flows... I take it your IQ was probably a 3?


    J/K!!!!! But seriously...what did you say?
    okay i will try again. i have once heard of the question were the what color was the polar bear question. as i saw it on a iq test i once took on facebook.

    p.s. my iq was good as it was above 100.

  5. #25

    Atomic North....

    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    ya, exactly, a single point, infinitesimally small in width, so you will always be some distance away from the point - whether its 1 millimeter or .0001 millimeters. get it.
    Oh...I see what you're saying. You're trying to find the magnetic north OF magnetic north. Magnetic north would have to be pretty big if it's going to attract a compass in tierra del fuego, but it's own center is different. But by that reasoning, the north pole is infinitely small as well, because technically, there is no smallest thing that everything is relative to. Anyway, Mr. Swelllinfo (or should I say, Mr. Zeno), we have atoms so if you want to take it down to an infinitesimally small level, most would say you have to stop there. What I mean to say is that there's a level that if you go smaller than, it loses it's magnetic properties. Therefore, there's a natural limit to magnetic north (at least as I understand it). Is that what you mean?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Data View Post
    we have atoms so if you want to take it down to an infinitesimally small level, most would say you have to stop there. What I mean to say is that there's a level that if you go smaller than, it loses it's magnetic properties. Therefore, there's a natural limit to magnetic north (at least as I understand it). Is that what you mean?
    I think were talking more of a geometric point in space rather than any actual physical place..... and according to euclidean geometry, a single point "consists of neither volume, area, length, nor any other spatial dimension." In other words, the "point" does not need to contain any matter whatsoever, its merely a marker.

  7. #27
    I took a philosophy course a couple years back and learned that distances can always be cut in half as long as there is a set amount for that distance. Therefore, the Magnetic North (which is truly the Magnetic South as someone said earlier since like poles repel and opposites attract and the North pole of a compass is attracted to the "north" pole of the world, meaning it is really the south pole) can always be cut closer and closer as swellinfo was saying.

    If you're right on the magnetic north pole then your compass needle would either spin or not move at all because the compass is parallel to the ground and the needle only moves horizontally not vertically, therefore, the needle cannot point "downward" beneath the actual compass.

    This is interesting stuff. I like reading the debate (should happen more often on swellinfo-thread about hard-to-answer, interesting questions).

  8. #28
    Those are interesting points.

    What I was trying to say was kind of a cop out. I was saying that for magnetic north, you have to have a point big enough to attract a magnet and I think that if you go beyond the atomic level, you lose magnetic properties. So, there technically is a limit to magnetic north. But, how do you get there if any distance can be cut in half infinitely? How do you get anywhere?
    Last edited by Ricky Data; Apr 15, 2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Data View Post
    Those are interesting points.

    What I was trying to say was kind of a cop out. I was saying that for magnetic north, you have to have a point big enough to attract a magnet and I think that if you go beyond the atomic level, you lose magnetic properties. So, there technically is a limit to magnetic north. But, how do you get there if any distance can be cut in half infinitely? How do you get anywhere?
    Right that was the whole thing that how do we know motion is even possible if all distances can be infinitely halved. So if you keep cutting it in half, it eventually hovers right near zero movement, but it never approaches it, just like an asymptote.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Data View Post
    Oh...I see what you're saying. You're trying to find the magnetic north OF magnetic north. Magnetic north would have to be pretty big if it's going to attract a compass in tierra del fuego, but it's own center is different. But by that reasoning, the north pole is infinitely small as well, because technically, there is no smallest thing that everything is relative to. Anyway, Mr. Swelllinfo (or should I say, Mr. Zeno), we have atoms so if you want to take it down to an infinitesimally small level, most would say you have to stop there. What I mean to say is that there's a level that if you go smaller than, it loses it's magnetic properties. Therefore, there's a natural limit to magnetic north (at least as I understand it). Is that what you mean?
    ya, i here ya... i really dont know anything about magnetic north. but, the never quite getting there could apply to the northern most point on the earth (a pole wouldnt be the best way to describe it).