LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Cool Surfing and Fighting............

Since I read a few posts that had dealt with health and working out, I figured I would try some different techniques, that will have me ready for anything surf wise. I currently have one of my friends sending me the P90X workout DvD's so I am really stoked on that! But recently I was thinking about taking up someting a little different, like fighting. Not necessarily hardcore MMA, but a fighting style that 1.)Will have me in great shape and 2.)When it came down to it I can kick some a$$! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what type of classes, or trainers that may provide me with this type of fighting. I want to be in tip top shape for surfing, and also at the same time maybe pick up another hobby (fighting/self defense) while I'm at it. Also i live in Monmouth County, so if anyone has any info on classes in the area that would be epic!

Cheers!

Try ice hockey. Fighting wont be as beneficial fitness wise as ice hockey will for surfing shape. Besides, fighting is in you or its not. More guys new to studying fighting got their asses pummeled by guys that got it in them naturally.

Negative on Ice Hockey.... Im talking about fighting here. If "fighting is in you or not" I dont care. Just to learn proper technique, and different styles is intersting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Etl1692 View Post
    Negative on Ice Hockey.... Im talking about fighting here. If "fighting is in you or not" I dont care. Just to learn proper technique, and different styles is intersting enough.
    Well don't ever be in real situations and take a fighting stance. You lose right there. You mentioned you were interested in it for benefitting surfing, I thought, and you mentioned self defense. Now its that you "dont care", so why not google fighting forums?

Your looking too much into this buddy. All im asking is if anyone from the swellinfo surfing community has taken any types of fighting up? To not only learn technique but get in shape. I forget where I saw it, but there was a surfer and he was talking about a certain type of fighting and why he enjoys it so much. He said something along the lines of he likes fighting because it is just like surfing, you dont know what the fighter (wave) is gonna throw at you, so you must adapt to all certain types of situations. Just like certain conditions and certain wave types.....

Any sort of martial art training should help with balance, flexibility, and 'sense of positioning,' all of which are necessary for surfing. Good for the core and legs, too. I took Hapkido and Taekwondo in college and had a lot of fun with it. I took a few classes with the kids a couple of years ago, too, and it was a great workout.

Go for it. Try something new. It's good for your mind, body, and spirit. An overall feeling of 'freshness' can't hurt your surfing.

Hey bro. As a Beachbody coach I can tell you that P90X will do wonders. Insanity will also help out mega. These will both help develop your aerobic, anaerobic, balance, flexibility and sense of well being. You can always jump in and get Turbo Jam or Turbo fire...while not actual fight training, they do follow more of a kick boxing routine.

Like Mikey said though, any of the MA will never be a bad thing and there is none that I can say would be better than any other...Good luck.

Screw all that meathead crap. If you want to learn balance, flow, flexibility and agility you need to get into Capoeira. You should also get into break dancing. Both are full body workouts, greatly strengthen your core, they require a very heightened sense of body awareness and teach you how to find multiple balance centers no matter what position you are in.

I would highly recommend Jiu Jitsu. Everyone knows that most fights end up on the ground. If not Jiu Jitsu will help move it to the ground asap. I lost a lot of weight when I started training in Jiu Jitsu. Great cardio work. Good luck!

Rex Kwon Do...Do you think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night? Forget about it.