LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddling

Hybrid View

Images

Paddling

I've had trouble maintaining my strength over the winter (and most winters when im not in the water much) and i was wondering what is a good way to increase my paddling speed. Any exercises or tips for building up paddle speed and maintaining that strength during periods out of the water.

Images
    swimming in the pool is your best out of the ocean resource.

Northender Guest
    slightly cup your hands while still keeping your fingers open and while you paddle put your hands a little underneath your board while you paddle helps you go faster.

paddling

is it true that water temps effect your bouyancy? I know when paddling in cold water it seems like I am dragging a pool toy behind me to the line up.

Use a rowing machine. It will build up your speed. i also swim competivly year round which helps my paddling speed

Yea it's tough, I go to the gym and workout to stay in shape and have noticed definite improvement in terms endurance in the water. If I didn't workout, it would be even harder to paddle and stay out there longer.

Even so, I still get tired quick with the 5/4 especially when current is shifty on the bigger days. I try the cupping of the hands and I guess it works but sometimes I'm just too tired, that damn 10lbs of rubber kills me.

Anyway, my point is, we are always going to be tired out there if we dont surf everyday during the winter and the paddling will be restricted with the extra rubber thickness in the wetsuit.

I'm sure this all stuff you know anyway, but just voicing my opinion. If you have a pool at your gym and can do laps everyday, you'll be much better prepared and fit to paddle during the winter.

Any other tips from people, im all ears.

Track. Run hard and long every day. Get some lungs and become a machine. 8 hour sessions are no prob for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrab View Post
    is it true that water temps effect your bouyancy? I know when paddling in cold water it seems like I am dragging a pool toy behind me to the line up.
    You're buoyancy, not for say, cause generally you are the same temperature. Anything colder is denser, so the colder the water, the closer the molecules are together, and since they are closer, you gotta work that much harder to separate them, hence why it feels harder to paddle. That and you got a **** ton of rubber around you

Cardio is all you need

Quote Originally Posted by tbing View Post
    You're buoyancy, not for say, cause generally you are the same temperature. Anything colder is denser, so the colder the water, the closer the molecules are together, and since they are closer, you gotta work that much harder to separate them, hence why it feels harder to paddle. That and you got a **** ton of rubber around you
    Actually thats just wrong. The density of water is always constant - that's why hydraulic power can be so strong.

Colder water has a higher viscosity than warm water, meaning colder water has a higher resistance to flow. The molecules of water are the same space apart at 40 degrees as they are at 85 degrees.