LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddling

rowing is a pretty crazy exercise, we have a couple of ergs. im the only known rower in my family

Images
    All you need to do is push-ups curls and or pull-ups. I'm not in shape whats so ever, smoke about about a pack and half a day but I make sure at all times I can drop and do fifty and be able to do 10-15 pull-ups. That aleast maintains enough strenth to get though the impact zone and catch some waves. When I do decided to get my self in shape of corse my surfing improves but I'm not in Pacific Beach anymore so I lost the stoke. Pop a perk and light up a smoke.

Images
    step 1: Grab a curling bar on the outside handles(palms facing outward) and curl to your chest while keeping your back and shoulders straight as possible about 20 times on the first rep then go right into step 2: grabbing it on the middle handles (palms facing inward) and pull straight up to your chin if you can making sure to keep straight again. Do that 20 times then go back to the step 1 after taking half the weight off and do 20 then repeat step 2 with that same amount of weight then repeat step 1 and 2 with just the bar but do as many as you can until you burn out! I promise you your triceps, fore arms and shoulders will be strong as hell if you do this twice a day. Its also a good exersize for knocking dudes out with on punch!

SWIM! works the best

curls????????

no those won't help you in any sport. your biceps are among the smallest muscles on your body and they do not have anything to do with athletic performance in any sport. I've been lifting for football for a couple years now and everyone knows you only do the curls for the girls. If you really want to increase your paddling endurance, do a lot of reps of rows, lat pulldowns, and wide (very wide) grip pullups, and touching the back of your neck to the bar as you go up. Also if you do reverse crunches, you can really work your inner lats and core which are always essential in surfing.

working out your bis wont help you. if you really want to gain endurance, you should do circuit training.

Quote Originally Posted by stout metalworks View Post
    step 1: Grab a curling bar on the outside handles(palms facing outward) and curl to your chest while keeping your back and shoulders straight as possible about 20 times on the first rep then go right into step 2: grabbing it on the middle handles (palms facing inward) and pull straight up to your chin if you can making sure to keep straight again. Do that 20 times then go back to the step 1 after taking half the weight off and do 20 then repeat step 2 with that same amount of weight then repeat step 1 and 2 with just the bar but do as many as you can until you burn out! I promise you your triceps, fore arms and shoulders will be strong as hell if you do this twice a day. Its also a good exersize for knocking dudes out with on punch!
    There are much better excercises to hit core muscles then this in my opinion; e.g. front and side dumbell raises, pull-ups, tri-pulldowns & dips, seated row and throw in some push-ups or bench press...etc.. Then cardio is key and yoga for flexbility, even a wobble board to play around with is great for stability and balance.

As for knocking dudes out with one punch, better hope you do cause these days you are going to run into a jijitsu freak that will get you on the ground and snap your arm off..haha.

Images
    http://www.vasatrainer.com/

This thing looks pretty sick. its some exercise machine that helps with your paddling for surfing and swimming. Its called the vasa trainer.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    no those won't help you in any sport. your biceps are among the smallest muscles on your body and they do not have anything to do with athletic performance in any sport. I've been lifting for football for a couple years now and everyone knows you only do the curls for the girls. If you really want to increase your paddling endurance, do a lot of reps of rows, lat pulldowns, and wide (very wide) grip pullups, and touching the back of your neck to the bar as you go up. Also if you do reverse crunches, you can really work your inner lats and core which are always essential in surfing.

working out your bis wont help you. if you really want to gain endurance, you should do circuit training.

i disagree completely. you always want to lift your biceps just as much as your other muscles. they support your arm and they support any movement greatly. they may not play a main part in exercises/surfing but they definitely help. just because curling is not prominent in surfing does not mean it does nothing. don't ignore it.

imagine if you only did abs every day for a year, yet did no lower back. your core would be weak as **** because you never supported the opposing muscle. same with triceps and biceps. don't avoid muscles for not being primary in 90% of sports. just food for thought

Images
    Shakagrom I disagree push-ups work mostly your tri's shoulders and back muscles all of which are used in surfing. Try lying on your back with a curl bar with 5 or 10lbs plates and raising it from behind your head to 90deg. forward like you look as if you were going to bench press it. You'll have monster tri's in no time. I can attest to stout metalworks theory about the one punch knock outs, it true. I only fight if its the last option except when my buddy hit me first (drunk of cores) one punch KO, he went to the hospital with a concussion. The next two I was attacked and things didn't end well for them. Don't knock the work out till you try it.
    Last edited by SeaDaddy; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

arite seadaddy but thats not what i said. Obviously push-ups help you (but they are mostly for your pectorals and shoulders depending on how far apart your hands are) but I was talking about curls which are for your biceps- which are not that useful in surfing, they just make your body look more cut.

and yes i know the exercise you're talking about because i do them, but triceps won't help you with paddling as much as your lats, which is why you should do rows.

if one were to be looking to increase his paddling endurance, he should do 12-15 (or more depending) reps and minimize break time as much as possible in order to get your muscles accustomed to the limited relaxation time.

if you're looking for explosion, then you do 6-8 or as many as you can do at the heaviest weight in order to increase muscle mass. It's all about pushing yourself in the weight room.