LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images

Surfing Alone or with people?

If there is a thread similar to this, I apologize, but I haven't seen one yet;

So recently I surfed alone for the first time. When I say alone I mean not a soul in the water except for me. I usually have a surfing buddy, and usually there are other guys, or gals, out there with us. The beach was super crowded and the waves were ****, but I went out anyway since it was really hot. Nobody was swimming since it was freezing, but it was actually nice out.

So getting to the point... when I was out there, it was one of the best things ever. I was completely alone and just relaxed. I had time to really think and ponder **** just by my lonesome. And when I got out I realized that it was a totally different aspect of surfing that I never had before, mostly because I was always with someone (for safety, talking, messing around, and memory reasons). It reminded me of this song by Incubus. Aqueous Transmission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4k5JWegwHg

I think I may have enjoyed it more than with people, even if the surf was flat and ****ty. So I ask: Do you enjoy surfing completely alone, or do you like the company of others better?

Images
    Both......

Images
    I enjoy both. I agree, I find it more relaxing just being out there by yourself, just no worries... No one to impress, just you and the ocean. But sharing waves with friends is the best part of surfing in my opinion.

Images
    i always freak myself out thinking about sharks when I'm alone and if I get bitten, who's there to save my chum ass?

well for some reason I always surf the best by myself. Plus you get all of the waves to yourself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyav13 View Post
    well for some reason I always surf the best by myself. Plus you get all of the waves to yourself.
    ya, i'm more focused when I surf by myself and surf better. No distractions.

Images
    I like both. Surfing alone is fun cause theres nothing to do. Wave choice is yours (you still look at the one that rolls in after saying "damn why didn't I take that one") But I also like surfing with just a few buddies. like 3-4 of us out, and no one else. You know they won't steal your waves and its all chill even if they do.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    i always freak myself out thinking about sharks when I'm alone and if I get bitten, who's there to save my chum ass?
    haha i think about that too when i'm by myself... i also get the best rides when i'm by myself since i'm not worrying about anyone else hitting me or me hitting anyone else.... also alone i get all the nice ones since there is nobody else waitin for one

Images
    i surf alone alot! I'll often drive hours before dawn to catch a big swell at sunrise. Being alone gives you a different feeling for sure! After a super nice ride i always look around to see if anybody saw my ride....but nobody is there and its usually winter and not a soul on the beach either. Then you realize that there are no surfers to spray, no buddies to hi five after an epic barrel and no cute chics on the beach to say....damn look at that bad mama jama! In this moment you can actually progress in style and technique because there are no disctractions! I used to think about sharks all the time!! especialy when im all alone. I have learned to block it out recently. I started spear fishing a couple of years ago and learned that you cant panic while your 40ft down on a single breathe and being 20 miles off the coast of VA or OBX you are quite aware of what swims these waters. After swimming and hunting along side preditors larger than the average man in the open atlantic you kinda lose that childish fear of JAWS taking you for lunch right off the beach. Now its not the safest thing in the world and no one believes how epic it was with out them, but surfing alone does benefit the mind body and soul 10 times more then surfing with your loud mouth buddies......

I love to surf alone. I can concentrate so much better and in the short time that I have been surfing (less then 2 years) I've had my best rides when no one else was around.
    The downside is that I got hurt surfing alone. I got pummeled and my board hit me and I really thought that I was going to die. I still go out there when there is no one else out but I try to read the conditions better if I know that no one else is out there.