LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the only time I'd rather surf with people is winter when its big

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    Alone. Look at my shots. Empty waves.

I do have a few people that I love to get a session in with, and really if I'm out there with people who are good/ I'm comfortable with, I tend to vibe off of that and get better. Go deeper just to give them something to hoot about. There is nothing like having a good session with some friends, but in my opinion, it doesn't compare to a big cold nor easter session in the dead of winter all alone. That is a whole different thing...
    damn right.! just yourself and the ocean!

alone.. if a fish bites you then you probably deserved it

I surfed "sort of" alone this past Sunday. I had a non-surfing buddy sit in a beachchair to keep and eye on me and call 911 if I got in any trouble, but I was the only one in the water and he was the only one on the beach as far as the eye could see. It was great and I caught a few respectable waves.

However, I'm still not a very good surfer at all, and I have had my best sessions when I surf with my more experienced surfing friends whom really help coach me along out there. They have a much better eye for wave selection than I do and help me set up in the lineup correctly, tell me when to begin paddling, paddle harder etc. When I'm alone I frequently waste time and energy on the wrong waves. So I'd have to say for me the best situation is just myself and 1 or 2 buds who can be comrades/coaches but otherwise we have total isolation from everyone else. That is my personal favorite situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme*Liquidshredda View Post
    WHAT!!! you guys are all kooks. NEVER surf alone, have you read the warnings on the lifeguard signs? What happens if your drowning, who'll save you???? I cant believe all the supposedly experienced watermen on this site are so ignant! you all must be losers and have nobdy to surf with
    How can a surfer drown when he's a strong swimmer, he's got a board, a wetsuit? Wetsuits are made of air bubbles compressed between polyurethane so naturally, one would not be able to drown since it is a flotation device.

Lifeguard signs??? seriously? those things tell you not to go in the ocean if there are rip currents... like a rip is so life threatening! its easy to handle first of all, and second of all, surfers rely on rips to paddle out.

Lastly, i hope everything you said was a joke, especially the ignant part since its not quite a word.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post
    How can a surfer drown when he's a strong swimmer, he's got a board, a wetsuit? Wetsuits are made of air bubbles compressed between polyurethane so naturally, one would not be able to drown since it is a flotation device.

Lifeguard signs??? seriously? those things tell you not to go in the ocean if there are rip currents... like a rip is so life threatening! its easy to handle first of all, and second of all, surfers rely on rips to paddle out.

Lastly, i hope everything you said was a joke, especially the ignant part since its not quite a word.
    yeah he was just trolling us

i you surf alone it probally more relaxing like you said. but having a surfing buddy is probbaly more fun and entrataining

Images
    Drive down assateague on the OSV zone and paddle out on a cloudy day when there are no fishermen out. Its so much crazier there bc you cant even see the beach on a semi foggy day and there are no buildings to look back at, only ponies and sand dunes. SO RELAXING.....

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakagrom View Post

What are you talking about? I was on the beach getting ready to paddle out on a big day OCNJ when a friend passed out for no reason. He was great surfer and an all around watermen. He died. He would have lived if someone was with him. A wetsuit is not going to save your life. And you TALK as if the ocean does not challenge you? Even on the east coast, I have seen grown men with their tail between their legs. I surf by myself on a very rare occasion, but I would rather share the experience with my brothers or friends.

Images
    I love being by myself without the crowds, but its also fun just to have a few friends to share the experience with. you know. but i know what you mean. it is really relaxing to be out there by yourself sometimes.