LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I remember I started surfing in the mid-80s, and I would hear/read almost word-for-word *****ing and moaning that surfing was getting "too popular"

Surfjdog you are a ****ing homo go **** yourself?

....Aloe for that burn....

hahahahahaha...way to get busted..that is some classic Sh*%

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I remember I started surfing in the mid-80s, and I would hear/read almost word-for-word *****ing and moaning that surfing was getting "too popular"
    I started in the early 80's too and it was much the same thing as far as numbers. I think a huge difference was that back then most of the newbies had enough respect to know the rules beforehand and if they didn't know the rules there were plenty of people who would be more than willing to explain it to them one way or another.

Now, i think that respect is lacking, especially in summer, for the majority of new surfers. a lot of newbies think they have some 'right' to surf the best waves and drop in as they see fit without first paying their dues.

Images
    I really enjoy these forums and what everyone talks about. There was a thread just like this a few days ago and Ill I keep thinking is why are people so angry about other shreddders talkign about where and when to surf. Like Micah said that is what this site was designed for and if it didn't have these forums I would have never joined.

hey guys common what are yall doin here this forum is my secret spot, yall better not tell others about it...... really please dont

What I find hilarious is the people complaining about crowds or spot dropping are USUALLY the same ones driving over from DC to surf northside on a waist high windswell, and think that some website is the reason they are surrounded by 600 of their closest friends.

The reality is these people won't even make it to the lineup on a decent swell, let alone drop in on something. When it's good around here it's almost hilarious how sparse the lineup gets. But the next day when the swell drops to the knee / chest range....get over it, every kook and their brother paddles out.

Go down the coast and name a spot, it has a natural selection method to clean the lineup. NJ...you have to fight the horrendous south current when it's working, your average surfer isn't gonna be able to deal with the constant paddling to stay on the point.....IRI and it's crumbly weakness is only worth it when it's too big everywhere else, you won't find many making the paddle.......Midtown is consistently good, consistently crowded, but has the best developed pecking order around, if you earn your spot you get waves.

If you want to surf less crowded spots and are still learning or earning your wings I feel for ya. But the difference between taking off on the main peak at one of the 'premier' spots and some random peak at tower road you can surf alone isn't gonna be a big difference. Practice, learn, respect, explore, and you'll get your waves....this scene is really mellow and a great place to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    What I find hilarious is the people complaining about crowds or spot dropping are USUALLY the same ones driving over from DC to surf northside on a waist high windswell, and think that some website is the reason they are surrounded by 600 of their closest friends.

The reality is these people won't even make it to the lineup on a decent swell, let alone drop in on something. When it's good around here it's almost hilarious how sparse the lineup gets. But the next day when the swell drops to the knee / chest range....get over it, every kook and their brother paddles out.

Go down the coast and name a spot, it has a natural selection method to clean the lineup. NJ...you have to fight the horrendous south current when it's working, your average surfer isn't gonna be able to deal with the constant paddling to stay on the point.....IRI and it's crumbly weakness is only worth it when it's too big everywhere else, you won't find many making the paddle.......Midtown is consistently good, consistently crowded, but has the best developed pecking order around, if you earn your spot you get waves.

If you want to surf less crowded spots and are still learning or earning your wings I feel for ya. But the difference between taking off on the main peak at one of the 'premier' spots and some random peak at tower road you can surf alone isn't gonna be a big difference. Practice, learn, respect, explore, and you'll get your waves....this scene is really mellow and a great place to learn.
    That's an excellent point - very well put.
    Last edited by RedStripe75; May 6, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

skeg,

Right on! The only thing I could add to it is to learn how to not drop in on people (accidents happen though) and not to snake people.

If anyone wants to surf with just a couple of friends, invest in a boat!

surfjdog

Why do you read the forum if you hate what everyone writes about??? I hate guys who think they are better than everyone else, who call everyone kooks. Surfing is about having fun at any age or skill level. If someone wants to talk about surfing alone or whatever who cares. Overall this is a great site, I visited it everyday and enjoy reading the forum every now and again to hear what people are thinking about...