Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1

    Transition from longboard to shortboard

    Hi,

    I am 5’11”, 70kg (154lb), 41-year-old, an average surfer and I have surfed on a 9′ longboard for a year every weekend and I can catch waves in a good condition without much efforts. I don’t think I am an intermediate yet, though.

    Mostly, I live in Korea but I travel to San Francisco every 4 weeks. So I got a 5’10” shortboard (Quagg, Jeff Mccallum) to surf in US but I realized that early transition to shortboard is not a good idea since I fail to pop up on it. It took a month for me to paddle on the shortboard but I can’t fix the pop-up part yet. So I am looking for more suitable board for the transition.

    1) I ride BART and a bus to go to surfing spots (e.g. Linda Mar) so I can’t take more than 7′ surfboard (7′ max.)
    2) I prefer durable, ding-free ones like Lib Tech due to riding a public transportation.

    I am looking at Lib Tech Puddle Jumper and Lib Tech Extension Ramp. Would you recommend any of them for me? Any advice would be great!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mission Beach/Spring Lake
    Posts
    1,342
    6'6-6'10 fish

  3. #3
    Your biggest hurdle in your transition from long to short board will getting the speed up to get to your feet in critical part of the wave. Get a board that floats you well. If it's one that doesn't get dings- even better.
    North or South Korea? Are you a defector? Any pics?
    Welcome anyway. Let's unleash this forum. You and we may find the answers here.

  4. #4
    I was an adult learner, always on >=9 longboards, always on weak beach breaks. I feel your pain. My "step down" is a fat, thick quad fish, which I like because a quad does not have to be pumped to keep up with the wave (a true thruster must be worked pretty hard) . A quad can just go wherever the wave takes you with little effort - I would be a flailing fool on a thruster. My fat-fun-fish is 7'6 so I trim it almost like a longboard, yet it is faster and more maneuverable. Super fun around waist high.
    I think an important question is, how do you want to ride a couple of years from now? Do you aspire to slashing turns and vertical maneuvers, or just swooping ess turns? Let that guide you a little ... my impression of Lib Tech, lost ... etc larger volume boards is that they are step-ups for aging shortboarders (or shortboarders who find themselves stuck with mushy conditions), not step-downs for longboarders.
    You already have a 5'10 lying around so I would say no need to go too short, go with Sobeyville's advice( above), at the VERY least ... me personally, if they let you bring 7' on the BART, I'd go the fattest thickest 7' I could find. Probably the Walden MiniMega (starting with a quad setup) or MegaFish at 7' (obviously quad (or 4+1)). (Both those boards have more volume than my 7'6"! More turns per session ...)
    In any case, good luck ... when many guys your age are picking up a broom, you are challenging yourself ... hats off! And add pop ups to your fitness routine, it's true the shorter the board the less margin for error, so you want to be quick, athletic and balanced in your popups, practice makes permanent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wb
    Posts
    4,012
    154 pounds wtf

    im pretty sure you need to eat some more

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    7,695
    5'11....150 lbs....dood, I'm with metard on this one..... immediately steer yourself to the Waffle House & do not stop, do not pass go, just keep eating until you puke in the parking lot. Repeat for one week or until you shiiit blood.

    And hit the gym to get some paddle strength going: at your weight, on a 9' board, you should be the second coming of Joel Tudor.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by danolee View Post
    Hi,

    I am looking at Lib Tech Puddle Jumper and Lib Tech Extension Ramp. Would you recommend any of them for me? Any advice would be great!
    I have a 7'0 7s super fish II x2 epoxy and it has a ton of float (Im 215 LBS). I surf weak crappy beach break and this board paddles way easier than a real short board. It is fast, stable, very durable and comes with the Tri/quad set up. I really enjoy it. I know it's a pop out but it's fun as **** and would make a great transition board. Sometimes Global Surf industries has decent sales, I got mine for 450 including fins and shipping. At your weight and in Northern California you could go pretty short.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Wood117 View Post
    I think an important question is, how do you want to ride a couple of years from now? Do you aspire to slashing turns and vertical maneuvers, or just swooping ess turns? Let that guide you a little ... my impression of Lib Tech, lost ... etc larger volume boards is that they are step-ups for aging shortboarders (or shortboarders who find themselves stuck with mushy conditions), not step-downs for longboarders.
    Thanks G-Wood117 for all the kind words and a good advice. Your question really awakened me and made me think again. I am not sure yet though but I will keep that in mind as it goes. I will look for a fish around 7' for now. Thanks again.

    Hope to see you in the water!
    Last edited by danolee; Sep 7, 2015 at 07:14 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Scobeyville View Post
    6'6-6'10 fish
    Thanks and I will look for a fish.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQ View Post
    Your biggest hurdle in your transition from long to short board will getting the speed up to get to your feet in critical part of the wave. Get a board that floats you well. If it's one that doesn't get dings- even better.
    I didn't realize the importance of buoyancy until I first went out with my shortboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonQ View Post
    North or South Korea? Are you a defector? Any pics?
    Welcome anyway. Let's unleash this forum. You and we may find the answers here.
    Haha, I am a business man from South Korea. Free world is not a new thing to me.