LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question about wet suites?

I just moved to Manteca, CA and was previously living in Orlando, FL. I am wondering what thikness wet suite is need out here? I will probably be going to Santa Cruz or Ocean Beach.... Any advice?

4/3 is the the most common wetsuit thickness for Santa Cruz. I'd recommend getting some booties too.
    Last edited by Creeker; Nov 8, 2010 at 05:10 PM.

5/4 winter, 4/3 summer. Hood & booties.

Gloves for the coldest months!

Depending on what type of neoprene you are using. I have a 3mm yamamoto and I'm plenty warm with water in the 50's.

Images
    Geoff Phillips you're on a roll brotha!

Images
    Wetsuite.

To tha OP, wet suites are way better than dry suites for the dry suites are simply no fun. You need to get it wet to have fun and in a dry suite, the wahines don't even begin to dampen.

FLY A BANNER FOR WET SUITES WITH JACUZZI/BAR

Haven't been through a full SF winter but I can't imagine a 5/4 is ever needed. Water temps don't dip below 50 and 4/3, booties, gloves and hood should be toasty enough. Been surfing the summer with various combinations of 4/3, 3/2, (no) booties depending on air and water temps. People wear strange combinations of rubber out here (e.g. 4/3, no booties + hood), so have the full array of gear and figure out your favorite outfit(s).

don't listen to that kook with the 3 mil. You're going to need a 4/3 suit, booties, hood and gloves. If you lived near the beach and surfed couple days a week, you might be able to get away with just the 4/3 and booties, but you'll never be acclimated enough driving all the way from manteca.

If you shave your head or are bald, you might want to wear the hood all year...funny looking at first, but a lot of people do it because it's warmer, keeps the sunburn to a minimum and it's the easiest way to avoid surfer's ear.